7mm sherman max

So you are moving the shoulder forward, and creating a false shoulder and therefor shortening the neck?

Yeah, that is what she said ! Definitely a good efficient cartridge for a Tikka . Rich (Elkguy) knows how to design cartridges for rifle manufacturers "f" ups. The Sherman Max was just a treat for those that thought they needed something new, and over-the-top efficient in an intermediate action Tikka or Mauser bolt gun. Thanks Rich.

It won't be rounded once it's fired. It's just not completely formed because hydro forming doesn't exert enough pressure.
Hydroforming only has to reach certain areas with a certain amount of pressure. It will fill out on the the next explosion, but it keeps everything in place until then. Do you know what I mean, Vern ?

So you are moving the shoulder forward, and creating a false shoulder and therefor shortening the neck?
No, it has got an Ackley pinch on a saum case. The neck gets shorter when you fire form because it's forming the 40 degree shoulder and blowing quite a bit of taper out. .310" is plenty of neck for a .284 though.

Last edited:
No, it has got an Ackley pinch on a saum case. The neck gets shorter when you fire form because it's forming the 40 degree shoulder and blowing quite a bit of taper out. .310" is plenty of neck for a .284 though.
I won't argue Elkguy, but often I listen to Brian Litz. 1.09/1 neck to bore ratio is never bad. 1.15/1 to 1.2/1 is even better. You are the superlative cartridge designer. We know your stock market habits are not in barrel manufacturers. LMAO

I won't argue Elkguy, but often I listen to Brian Litz. 1.09/1 neck to bore ratio is never bad. 1.15/1 to 1.2/1 is even better. You are the superlative cartridge designer. We know your stock market habits are not in barrel manufacturers. LMAO
Actually, if more neck was available, I would have put a fuzz more on but in this case I wanted to make it very simple for people to use.