7mm SAW

underwoodbits

What is a good twist rate and barrel length for a 7mm SAW? I'm looking at a 8.5 or 9 twist barrel. It will be used for mostly hunting with a suppressor. I was thinking 22" length barrel. Any info would be appreciated.

I'd roll with whatever Clayton at WTO recommends.

He recommends 8.25 or 8.5 twist, so I will probably stay around 8.5. With the length of wait times right now it will probably just depend on what barrel I can find. I know I can get a Bartlein 22" 8.5 twist #13 Carbon Fiber right now, so that is probably the one I will get. But a #5 Brux in 9 twist or a #3B Bartlein in 8.7 twist is also available. I would have to flute them though.

What bullet are you planning on using?

Not sure yet. Probably a large range of different bullets until I find the few I like. I shoot a lot of ELD-Match and ELD-X in my 6.5, but I was not impressed when I shot an Oryx in 2020 with the ELD-X.

I have two standard 7-08's and have always admired the 7mm SAW, it looks cool and performs. I think you're on the right path with the Bartlein CF, at 22" it'll be a little lengthy after the suppressor is on but I'd bet the 160gr AB's would've been good medicine for the Oryx, they're tough tough from what friends in New Mexico tell me. Sounds like you are going to have a sweet setup.

I have two standard 7-08's and have always admired the 7mm SAW, it looks cool and performs. I think you're on the right path with the Bartlein CF, at 22" it'll be a little lengthy after the suppressor is on but I'd bet the 160gr AB's would've been good medicine for the Oryx, they're tough tough from what friends in New Mexico tell me. Sounds like you are going to have a sweet setup.

Yes, those Oryx are extremely tough. Using my 6.5 last time worked out, but would like to have this 7mm SAW next time.