7mm SAUM/WSM

Its204fast

First post here guys

I want to build a rifle on the Savage Model 12 action(Right Bolt, Left Port) and was thinking of choosing 7mm SAUM or WSM. I want something in the .284 cal with more case capacity than 7mm08. Has anyone done either of these cartridges on this action? Is seating depth an issue or will it fit at all?

I know you posted awhile back but I just saw this. You will have a hard time finding a mag bolt head for a small shank savages 12. If you start out with a large shank 12 action that already has a mag bolt head such as a 270 wsm, 300 wsm, etc..., it's will be easier. You will have enough magazine length. If the chamber of the barrel is cut with a reamer other than standard saami, you might not be able to seat bullets to the lands but that's not a deal breaker. You can still make it work with a jump to the lands.

Build what chamber has the best available components. Saum brass is available from ADG and is top shelf. I think Winchester, Bertram and Hornady are the options for 7wsm and they are not that great. I'd go saum any day. Barrel life will be better, burn less powder and has a much longer neck, ans shorter overall case. Now if Peterson or ADG came out with wsm cases, that'd help a lot.

I know you posted awhile back but I just saw this. You will have a hard time finding a mag bolt head for a small shank savages 12. If you start out with a large shank 12 action that already has a mag bolt head such as a 270 wsm, 300 wsm, etc..., it's will be easier. You will have enough magazine length. If the chamber of the barrel is cut with a reamer other than standard saami, you might not be able to seat bullets to the lands but that's not a deal breaker. You can still make it work with a jump to the lands.

I handled a savage model 12 with the RB/LP a while back and I immediately thought "why aren't all bolt guns like this." I found another company who makes a RB/LP and LB/RP (I'm left handed/ LED but was taught to shoot RH/RED) but the action was ridiculously expensive (can't remember the MFG now) Northland has trued Savage 12 actions for $500.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.