7mm SAUM & WSM - what velocities are possible

300magman

I'm in the process of having a custom rifle built and I am seriously considering the 7mm SAUM, but if its velocity capabilities are not up to my desires, I may consider the larger 7mm WSM or perhaps something entirely different.

The custom action I am using is extremely tight and durable so I should be able to push the pressure a little more (using high quality brass) than the average factory rifle ... but not much.
The action is also long enough to load the rounds to full practical length for maximum case capacity.

Anyway, with a 26" barrel, what could I expect with 140gr & 160gr bullets using the SAUM ?

I'm in the process of having a custom rifle built and I am seriously considering the 7mm SAUM, but if its velocity capabilities are not up to my desires, I may consider the larger 7mm WSM or perhaps something entirely different.

The custom action I am using is extremely tight and durable so I should be able to push the pressure a little more (using high quality brass) than the average factory rifle ... but not much.
The action is also long enough to load the rounds to full practical length for maximum case capacity.

Anyway, with a 26" barrel, what could I expect with 140gr & 160gr bullets using the SAUM ?
This SHOULD enlighten you as per some of your question!

7mm Cartridge Guide

This SHOULD enlighten you as per some of your question!

7mm Cartridge Guide

I have actually read through most of the article and cartride guides here...some of them repeatedly, and while I did find them very informative, the 7mm guide is primarily focus on long range target shooting. Its a little different than the information that I am seeking, just by the nature of target shooting, many rifles would presumably tend to have LONG barrels and rather than focusing on the maximum possible velocity for medium and light weight bullets they would be looking for accuracy nodes with heavy for caliber bullets.
Don't get me wrong, there are some lighter weight target bullets listed on that page, but again, those loads are most likely coming from longer barrels and focusing on extreme accuracy over high velocity.

My hunting loads probably won't be at "maximum velocity" unless by some twist of fate I happen to get acceptable accuracy at that velocity, but all the same, I am curious about how fast a shorter 26" barrel could push these lighter bullets...afterall, if I'm shooting accubonds, I don't have to worry much about bullet blow ups the way target shooters might if they pushed thier vlds too fast.

I have friends who have 7 SAUM's and they routinely shoot out to one mile with theirs.
I have a 7 SAUM in a center-grip XP-100 and I shoot out to 1200 routinely on steel with it. Mine is a 18" barrel and I shoot a 162 A-Max right at 2800 fps

I am not sure what you are wanting in terms of distance or game, but mine is a
match chamber and I do clean up the necks.

I also have a 7mm WSM - not chronoed it yet.

IIRC, the 7mm WSM has about the same or even a grain or two more capacity then the venerable 7mm Rem Mag. So it should be able to match or exceed those velocities. Only thing I have heard is with the heavy bullets, it runs out of room faster, since they are seated deeper in the case.

I have actually read through most of the article and cartride guides here...some of them repeatedly, and while I did find them very informative, the 7mm guide is primarily focus on long range target shooting. Its a little different than the information that I am seeking, just by the nature of target shooting, many rifles would presumably tend to have LONG barrels and rather than focusing on the maximum possible velocity for medium and light weight bullets they would be looking for accuracy nodes with heavy for caliber bullets.
Don't get me wrong, there are some lighter weight target bullets listed on that page, but again, those loads are most likely coming from longer barrels and focusing on extreme accuracy over high velocity.

My hunting loads probably won't be at "maximum velocity" unless by some twist of fate I happen to get acceptable accuracy at that velocity, but all the same, I am curious about how fast a shorter 26" barrel could push these lighter bullets...afterall, if I'm shooting accubonds, I don't have to worry much about bullet blow ups the way target shooters might if they pushed thier vlds too fast.
I tried!!

I own a 7mm Rem Mag and a 7mm SAUM, so I can give you some data on them. I have not reloaded for or shot a 7mmWSM. With a 7mm SAUM you can come very close to matching the 7mm Rem Mag with bullets in the 140-160 weight range. With heavier bullets I think the 7mm Rem Mag should hold an advantage.
My 7mm SAUM is chamber in a 700 Remington rifle with a 24 inch barrel. So with a 26 inch barrel you should be able to best my velocities by 50-150 ft/sec.

I have been able to exceed 3130 ft/sec with a 140 grains Nosler Accubond and a 140 Barnes TSX bullet. With a 26 inch barrel you should be able to exceed 3200 ft/sec without a great deal of difficulty.

With 160 grain TSX bullets I have gotten 2950 ft/sec without difficulty. Again with a 26 inch barrel you should be able to reach 3050 ft/sec or more.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.