7mm SAUM vs 300 WSM for Elk/western hunting?

Helpful replies so far guys...

I started this thread not knowing much about the 7 SAUM and thinking the 300 WSM was the way to go, but the more I look into things the SAUM is quite appealing.

Pros the the 7 SAUM
- Pre fit barrel length I want (22in)
- Slightly better in a true short action
- Better high end brass availability (ADG, Norma 300 WSM brass seems discontinued)
- less recoil
- ever so slightly flatter shooting

Biggest Pro to the 300 seems to be about 400 ft lbs of energy (3150 KE at the muzzle, 210 gr bullet ~2750 MV). That's nothing to sneeze at, but the 7 SAUM still has a huge jump in energy over the 6.5 CM (2750 KE at the muzzle vs 2100 KE) and seems to duplicate 7 rem mag performance in a SA.

To be honest I'm kinda leaning 7 SAUM at this point. I got kind of stuck thinking I need a 300 based off my bad experience with the 6.5, but nobody is going to claim a 7mm bullet at Rem Mag velocities is marginal for elk. I feel like if I want to push past 750 yards or so I need to start building a long action 300 PRC or the like. Trying to do it in a short action just seems like an exercise in futility.

I shoot a .300 WSM. Over the years, I have used Barnes, Nosler and Hornady bullets. Mostly 180 Gr. When Federal introduced their Edge TLR .200 gr bullet, I wanted to try it, however it was over a year before I was able to obtain bullets. Fortunately I was able to purchase a couple of boxes of factory loads. I only had time to zero at 100 yds before the season started. I was pleasantly surprised at the results, <.75 MOA groups. I used factory velocity, 2810 fps and entered all the needed date into my Strelok program. I shot an elk at 570 yds, DRT, pencil size entry, destroyed both lungs, .50 cent exit hole,. First elk taken with a factory load in 45 years. I am totally sold on this bullet, particularly if the shot is less than perfect. This bullet will most likely exit, leaving a blood trail. With reloads, <.5 MOA, 2830 FPS. Last year 500 yd, frontal shot, elk went 10 yds.

Helpful replies so far guys...

I started this thread not knowing much about the 7 SAUM and thinking the 300 WSM was the way to go, but the more I look into things the SAUM is quite appealing.

Pros the the 7 SAUM
- Pre fit barrel length I want (22in)
- Slightly better in a true short action
- Better high end brass availability (ADG, Norma 300 WSM brass seems discontinued)
- less recoil
- ever so slightly flatter shooting

Biggest Pro to the 300 seems to be about 400 ft lbs of energy (3150 KE at the muzzle, 210 gr bullet ~2750 MV). That's nothing to sneeze at, but the 7 SAUM still has a huge jump in energy over the 6.5 CM (2750 KE at the muzzle vs 2100 KE) and seems to duplicate 7 rem mag performance in a SA.

To be honest I'm kinda leaning 7 SAUM at this point. I got kind of stuck thinking I need a 300 based off my bad experience with the 6.5, but nobody is going to claim a 7mm bullet at Rem Mag velocities is marginal for elk. I feel like if I want to push past 750 yards or so I need to start building a long action 300 PRC or the like. Trying to do it in a short action just seems like an exercise in futility.
BuckeyeRifleman,
So many Replies to your OP. What did you decide on? If you haven't decided yet, I have been super pleased with Proof's prefit barrels. One of my Proof prefits I ordered from Stocky's and got it in less than a week. Stocky's has a good selection, but nothing beats Proof's in-house selection :) It's the wait than takes awhile. I also am a fan of BigHorn actions, and I used their SR3 action with Wyatt's extended magazine custom milling and a Proof prefit 300 PRC barrel to build a new hunting rifle.
My vote would be the 7 SAUM based on seeing it perform in a friend's rifle = one shot and one very dead elk. The 7 SAUM's ballistics and wide range of excellent performing bullets prove its versatility.
I am a longtime fan and proponent of the 7mm bullet starting with my good ole 7mm Rem mag in a 700 BDL that I bought in 1976 for $199 at a dime store and later adding a Browning 7mm-08 Stalker rifle.
Have a safe and blessed Thanksgiving, and Go Bucks.
RR

I'm in the process of assembling parts to build a mountain rifle in 7 SAUM with 1:8.5 twist to shoot the 155 gr Hammer Hunters. That would be my personal recipe for the tool you're describing.

Nothing against the 300 WSM.
Curious your barrel length and MV?? How did you end up liking this combo?

BuckeyeRifleman,
So many Replies to your OP. What did you decide on? If you haven't decided yet, I have been super pleased with Proof's prefit barrels. One of my Proof prefits I ordered from Stocky's and got it in less than a week. Stocky's has a good selection, but nothing beats Proof's in-house selection :) It's the wait than takes awhile. I also am a fan of BigHorn actions, and I used their SR3 action with Wyatt's extended magazine custom milling and a Proof prefit 300 PRC barrel to build a new hunting rifle.
My vote would be the 7 SAUM based on seeing it perform in a friend's rifle = one shot and one very dead elk. The 7 SAUM's ballistics and wide range of excellent performing bullets prove its versatility.
I am a longtime fan and proponent of the 7mm bullet starting with my good ole 7mm Rem mag in a 700 BDL that I bought in 1976 for $199 at a dime store and later adding a Browning 7mm-08 Stalker rifle.
Have a safe and blessed Thanksgiving, and Go Bucks.
RR
I ended up with the SAUM! So far I've been very pleased. So far two dead elk to its name. Extraordinarily accurate. I'm shooting 150gr Bulldozer II's in front of H4350 and love it. Only issue is ADG brass is hard to come by!

With the well placed shot on that 300 Winchester short mag I'm using 145 grain bullet comes out pretty fast and it's never let me down on elk

"Throated out" won't work for a 212-215 bullet in a 2.950 mag. It won't even fit in a 3.2" mag to have the boat tail above the neck shoulder junction.