7mm SAUM vs 300 WSM for Elk/western hunting?

BuckeyeRifleman

I've got a short action Zermatt TL3 set in a AG composites stock that is my "go to" hunting/long range rifle. It's currently wearing a proof 6.5 CM carbon barrel which I love.

I took it on my first Elk hunt this year and unfortunately likely lost a cow elk... I don't want this thread to divulge into a caliber debate, but 143 ELD-X didn't get it done with a perfect 300 yard broadside shot. Likely more of a bullet selection problem than anything, but either way I've lost my confidence with the CM on something the size of an Elk.

Bottom line I want another barrel to take out west that has a bit more "oomph" than the venerable CM.

Looking at the Proof website they offer pre fit barrels for the TL3 in 7 SAUM and 300 WSM. I was leaning toward the 300 WSM but they only offer it in 24in and I'd like to stick with 22in as I hunt with a suppressor.

They do however offer 7 SAUM in a 22in pre fit.

Anyone care to comment on one vs the other?

300 WSM definitely is the bigger jump in power, but might be limited by mag length. I also worry a 24in barrel plus my Omega would be that much more unwieldy.

7 SUAM seems like an awesome little round, but brass might be hard to find, and doesn't offer that much more power than the 6.5. Hell I might as well look at the 6.5 PRC at that point.

I do reload for BTW, and the goal with this rifle is reliable on Elk to 700 yards.

Thanks!

06ED8B4E-00E1-41FD-A389-012D9E99120E.jpeg

Rifle in question...

A 7 SAUM with a 180 ELDM will probably run between 2800-2900 with a 22" barrel and it's noticeably more bullet than any of the 6.5s when it hits flesh. Brass for the SAUM is no longer an issue as it's available from ADG, Norma, and Gunwerks.

A 300 WSM is a fun round too and gives you more bullet weights to play with but I don't regret building my 7 SAUM.

I would certainly go the way of the 300 wsm. If you go to PTG's site they have a 3b bainey box that allows up to 3.110" OAL, and is the longest box available for a short action to my knowledge, it may still be cutting you a little short with a 215 but it is getting you close. But if you really want a dedicated elk rifle, I would consider getting a long action and stepping up to a .338 rum, edge, or Norma mag. I know it's not a prefit, but a .300 or .338 ss would also be an option with your current configuration, and would fit better than a wsm. They send 215's around 2900+, and 250's around 2700+ respectively. Might be a consideration.

I experienced something similar with a 147 eldm in my .260 AI, if it wasn't for fresh clean snow I would have lost a cow elk my wife shot, as it traveled over half a mile with a confirmed double lung impact and ZERO blood trail, it would have been easily visible in the fresh white powder, but all I had to follow was tracks, and I knew it was hit good as we video all our shots. I switched to the 156 EOL and had much better results this year, however I still spent all last year building a .338 Norma Mag specifically for elk. I know the 6.5 is totally capable, especially with proper bullet selection, but I have never lost an animal, and last year scared me almost loosing that elk. With a 300 going 2700, there will be no doubts if there is enough.

As far as the rifle length, I know that battle, my .260 ai has a 30" barrel plus an extra 2.5" of muzzle brake. My .338 I built is a 24"+ brake, much better. Personally I would rather take the extra 2" and have the 30 cal. But, you could also talk to hells canyon armory or carbon six about carbon barrels in the configuration you want.

I've got a short action Zermatt TL3 set in a AG composites stock that is my "go to" hunting/long range rifle. It's currently wearing a proof 6.5 CM carbon barrel which I love.

I took it on my first Elk hunt this year and unfortunately likely lost a cow elk... I don't want this thread to divulge into a caliber debate, but 143 ELD-X didn't get it done with a perfect 300 yard broadside shot. Likely more of a bullet selection problem than anything, but either way I've lost my confidence with the CM on something the size of an Elk.

Bottom line I want another barrel to take out west that has a bit more "oomph" than the venerable CM.

Looking at the Proof website they offer pre fit barrels for the TL3 in 7 SAUM and 300 WSM. I was leaning toward the 300 WSM but they only offer it in 24in and I'd like to stick with 22in as I hunt with a suppressor.

They do however offer 7 SAUM in a 22in pre fit.

Anyone care to comment on one vs the other?

300 WSM definitely is the bigger jump in power, but might be limited by mag length. I also worry a 24in barrel plus my Omega would be that much more unwieldy.

7 SUAM seems like an awesome little round, but brass might be hard to find, and doesn't offer that much more power than the 6.5. Hell I might as well look at the 6.5 PRC at that point.

I do reload for BTW, and the goal with this rifle is reliable on Elk to 700 yards.

Thanks!

View attachment 168871
Rifle in question...
I'm with codyadams
I've killed a few bulls with my 6.5 but almost lost one.
If you're wanting the best killing power at 700 yards the 300 wsm is for sure your best bet.
I would use a hunting bullet and avoid ELDM's and 215 Berger's, I've had poor results on elk with both.
Check out the 200 grain Federal Edge TLR, 210 ABLR, or 212 ELDX.
Good luck I think you're on the right track

I am not suggesting you consider a new cartridge, but I am curious to not see the 300 SAUM listed. Can you tell me what factored into your decision to rule it out? I like your options your are considering but am also considering a 300 SAUM myself because I have heard the mag length issues aren't as big of a problem as with the WSM. I'm curious about your thoughts.

Brass is the biggest issue for 300 wsm. I have a 7 saum and love it.

Brass is a little tougher for the WSM's, Bertram comes around every now and then but it has issues and I went back to Norma, to really get the love out of a WSM it really needs to breath in a 3.2 length mag box, I prefer the 300 WSM and we all load the 215 since we want to roll elk out to the 800 ish range and it's been dumping elk like a boss but we had to get some length to really let it breath, factory throating really suxs and can be really spikey on the pressures because it's so short.
The 7 SAUM will tuck into a shorter length, a bullet we have been really liking is the 175 Berger, seeing the same excellent bull dropping results as the 180 but fits a little nicer and runs a little more speed on shorter barrels.
Setting up for that 600-800 yard range in most terrain really puts you in a strong position for elk in most western states. Bullet selection is more critical but you have to see what fits your style, for us the Berger heavy for cal was a game changer from Barnes and Accubonds but they may fit your style but with a lot of chambering you start getting border line in the 600-800 yard range.

Brass is a little tougher for the WSM's, Bertram comes around every now and then but it has issues and I went back to Norma, to really get the love out of a WSM it really needs to breath in a 3.2 length mag box, I prefer the 300 WSM and we all load the 215 since we want to roll elk out to the 800 ish range and it's been dumping elk like a boss but we had to get some length to really let it breath, factory throating really suxs and can be really spikey on the pressures because it's so short.
The 7 SAUM will tuck into a shorter length, a bullet we have been really liking is the 175 Berger, seeing the same excellent bull dropping results as the 180 but fits a little nicer and runs a little more speed on shorter barrels.
Setting up for that 600-800 yard range in most terrain really puts you in a strong position for elk in most western states. Bullet selection is more critical but you have to see what fits your style, for us the Berger heavy for cal was a game changer from Barnes and Accubonds but they may fit your style but with a lot of chambering you start getting border line in the 600-800 yard range.
What length action in the 300 WSM?