7MM SAUM query

Progress update

I got a Wyatt extended mag box and now I can seat the 160grain Accubonds out to the lands and still fit them into the mag. I am single feeding the AMAX 162gn and they seem to shoot okay.

Last week I shot a Red stag at 502yds with the Accubond and 7 goats between 720- 793 yards, my longest shots on game so far (4 with Accubonds and 3 with AMAX)

I want to try the Berger 168gn VLD but cannot find any loading data. I am using Vitavourhi N165 powder.

1- What velocities should I expect in the 26 inch 7MM SAUM barrell
2- What starting weight powder charges should I be trying (VV165)

Cheers, Steve

I'm not a fan of shooting bullets way "outside the box" in wt The 168 is not so far out of the box, but hard for me to figure why I'd choose a 180 in a 7mm. In my opinion, the 160Accubond is a great bullet, and it's got a good enough BC to get way out there and retain velocity, and you can shoot it at 7mmSAUM velocities. My buddy gets 3000fps with 160 Accubond in his little 22" Mod 7. He raves on there performance on game.

I'm not a fan of shooting bullets way "outside the box" in wt The 168 is not so far out of the box, but hard for me to figure why I'd choose a 180 in a 7mm. In my opinion, the 160Accubond is a great bullet, and it's got a good enough BC to get way out there and retain velocity, and you can shoot it at 7mmSAUM velocities. My buddy gets 3000fps with 160 Accubond in his little 22" Mod 7. He raves on there performance on game.

You are right, the Accubond is a very good bullet, my only concern is that because they are a harder bullet they will not expand at longer ranges as well as the likes of the A-Max and Berger VLD

Of interest I use 64.5gn of VV N165 with my 160 Accubonds and 162 A-Max and the A-Max shoot 2 MOA flatter at 700 yards. Would be interesting to see what the VLD can do.

I have emailed Berger as suggested. I hear they are releasing a reloading manual soon

Use the AB for the under 400yrd shoulder shots and save those slender a-maxs for those from the land of far, far away.

You may find that the slower 168 cant improve on the 162 a-max unless pushed at the same speed.

Be a little careful of the pressure spike when jamming those Bergers.

Comments like these wont be telling you anything that you dont already know...

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.