7MM SAUM query

Steve7mm08

I have just purchased a Remington Sendero in 7MM SAUM, has a 26 inch barrel

Have yet to start reloading so would like some advice in regards to projectile weight.

It will be used as a longer distance rig, if I can shoot out to 700 yds on deer sized game I will be rapt.

People have recommended the 140 accubond but I reckon these will not have high enough BC

Would I be better off with 160 Accbonds.

Do you think the Berger 168gn VLD would be too heavy for this calibre?

Any advice appreciated

Thanks, Steve

I would say to go with the 168g VLD, or 162g AMAX. Either of those will get you to 1K quite easily. There BC's are .640 for the VLD and .625 for the AMAX. I've shot both of them out of my rem 700 BDL 7 RM, and they do a nice job out to 800 yards so far. They both shoot 1/2-3/4 MOA if I do my part. I seat mine out to 3.450" which are in the lands a little bit. I still have plenty of room in the magazine to seat farther out as well, so it can be used as a repeater, and it works nicely. Nice to be able to use a target bullet as a repeater in a hunting rifle...

Hi i shoot a model7 in 7mm SAUM and have shot the Sierra 168's, Sierra175's and also the Berger 180's they all shoot very well out of the 22" barrel. I would load up some 175gr Sierra's with H1000 or Retumbo they both work very well and use a Federal 215 primer and go fir it. If i was you i would get a longer mag box fitted so you can load the rounds so they will touch the lands and feed through the mag and you will have an awsome 1000 yard rifle. You can also shoot the 175gr Sierra loaded to tha max length of the mag and they also shoot very well that is not like the Bergers they do not usualy shoot to well with lots of bullet jump.

Cheers Good shooting you have an awsome rifle there and they are not made in that calibre any more wich is a shame i think Remington should load the Match Rounds with the 175gr Sierra like they do with the 190's in the 300 Rem SAUM and the 7mm would out perform it at 1000yards and would be a much better long range tacticle calibre but you just cant tell people that a 7mm is better than a 30 cal especialy the police markets thay are aiming them at. My opinion is the 7mm Rem SAUM is the most ballanced and best performing short mag out of any including the super short mags it works in a conventional short action without to many modifications and the velocity and accuracy is right up there with any benchrest cartrige it is like an upscaled PPC.

Cheers Bill
Australia

With 160's I've had good luck with H-1000. I've had good results with the 160 gr. accubond. I have also used the 175 gr. sierra with retumbo. That bullet is one of the best shooters I've ever used.

What I want to know is where you found the Sendero in 7 SAUM???

I've been using IMR 4831 in my 7 SAUM model 7.....might be on the fast side for your application since the heaviest bullet I've used is the 154 Hornady........

Yes they did make the sendero in 7mm saum, and 300 saum too. Grice gun shop in Clearfield Pa. still has some.

they did make a few i have a brand new never been shot one still in the box. if i ever find time i might be able to see how she shoots.

Thanks for the info guys, I bought it from a benchrest shooter who has fired 142 rounds with it, unsure why Remington no longer chamber the cartridge.

It was interesting to read your bullet recommendations, I actually thought the 168 would be pushing things but it sounds like it will do a great job.

Single feeding does not bother me too much but it would be great to lengthen the mag box- how easy is that? and has anyone here done it to a Sendero.

regards, Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts