7mm SAUM or 6.5 PRC

laker

Just picked up a tikka for a donor build for a lightweight 6.5 PRC or 7mm SAUM. Will be running as a long action so no worries about magazine issues. Going to be used from antelope to elk. For you guys that have had both with do you prefer. I'm thinking I'd run Berger 168 or 180 in SAUM and 140 or 156 in PRC

I had a 7 SAUM and my son has a 6.5 PRC. I like both of them and think that either would do what you are looking for. When you are talking elk at longer ranges, I prefer a heavier bullet, so the 7 SAUM would be my pick. I am considering building another one on a Tikka action.

Ballistically they are real close when you run the #s on the 156 in PRC and the 175 is SAUM. 20 gr of weight, no real world difference when it comes to shooting critters. I killed elk with 6.5 and 7mm, zero difference in end result.

Downfall of the 156 is only 1 bullet company making that bullet, but lots of options when you drop to 140ish gr.

Where lots of options in the 7mm 175-180 gr.
PRC brass will be easier and cheaper to find. I was kicking that same can a while back and decided to do 280AI in a light hunting rifle and 6.5 PRC In a more competition design

I have a 7 SAUM. That's my vote. You'll get better barrel life out of the 7 as well over that 6.5. I would think at this point you can get better brass for the 7 SAUM too over the 6.5. I use Gunwerks brass currently in my 7 SAUM and I like it so far.

Just picked up a tikka for a donor build for a lightweight 6.5 PRC or 7mm SAUM. Will be running as a long action so no worries about magazine issues. Going to be used from antelope to elk. For you guys that have had both with do you prefer. I'm thinking I'd run Berger 168 or 180 in SAUM and 140 or 156 in PRC
I just built a 6.5 PRC and building a 6.5 saum 4s. I don't have a 7mm saum but I do have three 7mm rem mags. I like 6.5 cal & 7mm but if I had to pick I would go with the 7mm saum.

7 Saum. Better ballistics. Very accurate round. Lots of bullets to choose from in 175-184 range. I have a couple and they are throated long. 3.150 and are on of my most consistent 1"'at 300 yard shooting guns. Don't have to mess with it as much as others. ADG brass is very good and a huge plus!

My choice is 7saum heavier bullets very accurate caliber 168 berger works perfect

More heavy bullet options in 7mm. The prc will be easier to find loaded ammo for if that matters to you. The prc doesnt have a rebated rim. Adg, bertram, and hornady are the only sources for brass for either cartridge that im aware of. Pretty much a toss up. Id go 7mm though

+1 on the 7saum
180 Berger @ 3000fps = Elk sleeping medicine
Not that a 6.5 156 pill won't but I like what those heavier cup and core pills deliver

With ADG brass and RL26 the 7saum is a great platform to dish out the medicine