7mm SAUM load w/ RL17 and 140 BT/ Fed 215 primers

I started a reloading project which is not yet complete using RL-17. Fed 215 primers, RP brass and Hornady 139 BTSP bullets. I worked up the loads to shoot in my Rem 700 in 7mm SAUM. Here are some of my results.

55 grains RL-17 2900 ft/sec

56 grains 2947 ft/sec

57 grains 3008 ft/sec

58 grains 3087 ft/sec Three shot group ES of 17 ft/sec. All these loads were three shots only and the velocity is an average for the three shots.

I have loaded a few more rounds at 58.5 and 59.0 grains but I have not shot them yet.

So, it looks as if you could start at 55 grains and work up like I did and you could find a good load with this powder.

I know that the burn rate of RL-17 is close to IMR-4350 and Hodgdon gives a max load of 61.2 grains for 3174 ft/sec. with a 140 grains Nolser BT, so I think I can move close to 60.0 grains without difficulty. I plan to do this sometime in the near future. I will be watching for signs of pressure as I move up at .5 grains steps.

Greatly appreciate the info. I am going to the range tomorrow. This gives me a good starting point. I have grown rather fond of the 7mm SAUM. Recently had some work done on it and haven't fired it since.

Shortmagman, What are the specs on your gun? Can you load out to the lands? Mine is a Mod 7. I just restocked it, put a better trigger on it and had it glass bedded. It has a 22" barrell.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. The mag box prevents me from loading out to the lands, so my usual COL is 2.80 for the 140 Accubond bullets and close to that with the 139 Hornady's.. My gun has a 24 inch barrel so I should get a little more velocity that you.

Have you shot the RL-17 yet and what were your results?

I shot some 140 Accubonds with RL-17 and boy did I get velocity. 58.0 grains produced + 3100 so I moved up to 59.0, 59.5 and 60.0 . The 60.0 I felt was too hot so I am going to load some at 59.5 since this load was hot 3200 ft/sec and with a couple of bullets going through the same hole at 100 yards I think I may have found a great load.

I recently picked up a modle 7 w/22" barrel in 7mm SAUM and decided to try some Rel 17. I'm shootin the heavier 160 Accubonds. It didn't take much load development to find sweet shootin load. Three rounds of my 5 shot group were touching at 100yds and velocities had an extremely low ES of 11fps. With the high BC of the 160's they should be flat shootin, but probably not as flat as the 140's at 3200....wow. Good Luck.

160 Accubond
CCI 250's
56 gr's Rel 17
COL 2.825"
2915 fps

I am very happy to get this info for the 7mm SAUM loads. I did get to the range this past week end but forgot the batteries for the chrony. I did shoot a few with the RL 17 but my groups were meaningless since I am still braking in the rifle and was not as precise with loading as I could have been. Hope to spend time doing it right this week end and hopefully can report early next week . Thanks greatly for the info you folks have been sharing.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.