7mm SAUM Build 2nd thoughts - Move to a 7MM PRC?? Your expert opinions appreciated...

I hear you for sure on the 7 Rem Mag...I had a similar struggle when going to a 284 Win in a standard Mauser action...I sure love the accuracy of that Win over the Rem's I've had...hoping 7 PRC somehow has similar magic sauce like the .284 Win and also 22 PCC over 220 Russian...
I hear you loud and clear, mo accuracy is mo bettah. I struggled with the 7mm question. I looked at SAUM, WSM, .280AI, and 7RM. I went with the 7RM after looking at the whole package. If you want to dream, dream of the 7PRC shooting like a 6BR and being tunable like a 6BR but using 180-195 gr bullets at 2900FPS...

I hear you loud and clear, mo accuracy is mo bettah. I struggled with the 7mm question. I looked at SAUM, WSM, .280AI, and 7RM. I went with the 7RM after looking at the whole package. If you want to dream, dream of the 7PRC shooting like a 6BR and being tunable like a 6BR but using 180-195 gr bullets at 2900FPS...
Amen to that ;-) Hopefully we'll soon see some data/reports coming out from testers on the benefits vs issues side.

Thanks Can1010 for the reply. I am not sure I recognize what you mean by the multiple dies (I'm in learning mode here). For the 7mm-300 weatherby, I stepped down using a single die and turned necks to ensure proper tension and fire-forming before load development. Other than trim, similar process going up from .308 Win to 375 Raptor. Which dies are you envisioning may be involved beyond a future 7mm PRC die and similar process to the 7-300 wthby?
you are not just necking down the brass, you need to push the shoulder back over a 1/4" and that cannot be done with one die. you will have to use at least 4 dies to reduce the body diameter 375, 338, 300, and finally 7mm then trim, neck turn, anneal.
if you really want one wait until brass becomes available

Can't find 7saum brass and you think you'll find 7PRC brass?
i guess we will have to wait until the official launch of the 7PRC and not just the release saami prints. Hornady has been better than most with having reloading supplies available in this market. now Lapua or ADG will be a while

I have a 27" .284 Bartlein Carbon Wrapped, 1: 8-7.25 gain twist barrel (blank) that was intended for becoming a SAUM as I wanted the neck length advantage of the SAUM casing, but given the EXTRAORDINARY difficulty in finding brass, I am now contemplating a switch to a 7mm PRC as .02 sacrifice in neck length is likely worth the ridiculous issues with locating brass...surely the 7 PRC will have PLENTY of options for brass in the near future.
What are others' thoughts in making the switch from SAUM to PRC?
Other than a SA to a LA configuration (quite frankly the SA for the SAUM with highest BC bullets was basically ruled out given the OAL limitation for mag-based application, as well as powder constraints due to deep bullet sating depth to fit the SA mags).
I have a 6 SAUM and it's a real nice long range gun.I shoot Berger 194gr .
If I t was in LA I'd consider goingv7PRC since I'm also shooting my new 300 PRC I'd love to build a 7PRC now. .
And since Hornady is behind it the brass should be easier to get than the 7SAUM ADG brass I use

I have a 27" .284 Bartlein Carbon Wrapped, 1: 8-7.25 gain twist barrel (blank) that was intended for becoming a SAUM as I wanted the neck length advantage of the SAUM casing, but given the EXTRAORDINARY difficulty in finding brass, I am now contemplating a switch to a 7mm PRC as .02 sacrifice in neck length is likely worth the ridiculous issues with locating brass...surely the 7 PRC will have PLENTY of options for brass in the near future.
Other than a SA to a LA configuration (quite frankly the SA for the SAUM with highest BC bullets was basically ruled out given the OAL limitation for mag-based application, as well as powder constraints due to deep bullet seating depth to fit the SA mags).
ADG just did a run of saum brass. Keep a close eye out on the retailers they use. Willing to bet they will have some in stock very soon if one already posted on here yesterday.

I have a 6 SAUM and it's a real nice long range gun.I shoot Berger 194gr .
If I t was in LA I'd consider goingv7PRC since I'm also shooting my new 300 PRC I'd love to build a 7PRC now. .
And since Hornady is behind it the brass should be easier to get than the 7SAUM ADG brass I use
I legit can't make heads or tails of what you are actually shooting.
also Hornady brass is pretty junk, especially compared to ADG

IMHO sounds like you just want to build a unicorn and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. I love unicorns I just picked up a couple of 7 SAUM factory rifles myself. They are turning up for sale more often at decent prices since people can't get ammo for them. Ammo is out there and if you are on this forum I assume you can find it but it is ridiculously priced. I put my boys to work and was able to come up with 150 pieces of brass in a couple of weeks at reasonable price for 7 SAUM. If I'm incorrect and you just want something in that performance range then like others have said 7MM rem mag will definitely do the job or the 280AI is a great cartridge that is becoming a Little more mainstream lately. 7PRC might as well be a laser gun at this time nothing out there just a concept you would have to build everything from scratch yourself which doesn't scare a lot of guys on here so if you want to put that feather in your cap by all means dive in. Just be sure to post reports of progress and definitely pics. Good luck which ever way you decide to go.

Other than a SA to a LA configuration (quite frankly the SA for the SAUM with highest BC bullets was basically ruled out given the OAL limitation for mag-based application, as well as powder constraints due to deep bullet seating depth to fit the SA mags).

I would maybe look at the 7 SS.

If you're going to make the decision to move to a LA, I'd seriously consider the 280AI, I've seen brass available over the last few months. I had a 7 SAUM built last year and have patiently been able to put together all of the components to start loading. I was fortunate that my builder did load workup and I had him load enough to get me through last hunting season. I know it wasn't part of your original question, but just thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks for the reply Greg - On another project I was starting, I acquired a few hundred 300 PRC unfired casings, so I'm likely good to go with the resize for the short term. With the shoulder moved back on the 7PRC, resize should be AOK
I personally don't see any benefit going with the 7 prc if you're a handloader, I've heard it may work in a Tikka length action but until that's verified there's no appeal to me.

If you're set on necking down, and have 300 prc brass around why not get a set of FL bushing dies and make a 7-300 prc?
You'd have your lapua brass and get the performance that actually improves upon the ballistics of a saum or 7 RM.
I'll bet barrel life would actually be better as well considering you could ***** foot it along with H1000 and still smoke us guys rodding the crap out of our shortmags with RL26