7mm saum and rl-26

vandal

I am looking for any results folks have had with rl-26 in the 7 saum, particularly with 180 hybrids but any recipes would be appreciated.

I just arrived in Africa so this is from memory. I am using a custom titanium action with a Bartlein 25 inch barrel. I am using about 61.5-61.7 gr of RL 26. (don't remember which.....) 180 hunting VLD's and got right at 2900 fps per magnetospeed. Start lower and work up. One of my gunsmiths suggested RL 33 too. The 180's were awesome on a whitetail doe and a buck antelope. Both less than 100 yds and DRT! Golf ball to tennis ball size exits.
Just over 63 grains gets a 160AB to almost 3000fps.... Bruce

I'm running a 280ai with RL-26, which should be a very similar case capacity as the 7 saum.

On a 90+ degree day I get pressure signs with 60 grain RL26 and the 168 grain Berger VLD Hunting. I'm not saying 61 or 62 grains cannot be done with the 180's, but I'd also caution (as the previous gentlemen mentioned) to work up in that range very carefully.

The cool thing about RL26 is it has a great charge density. So you can be at full pressure charge without having to compress the load.

Have fun! :D

What would be the expected velocity with RL26 and 160 grain Accubonds or Partitions out of my factory 22" barrel? The rifle is a Rem Model Seven, fwiw.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.