7mm RUM

Jeff H.

I have a chance to buy a 7mm RUM that a guy won at a wildlife banquet, and have given it serious thought until I read an article that said the barrels tend to erode quickly, another person told me something to this effect also. Does any have some knowledge of this round and some input?
Thanks, Jeff

I haven't shot this round personally, but it definitely an overbore caliber that will eat barrels. If you keep as a shoot occasionally rifle, then it will last you for years. But if you plan on thumping 1000rnds through it in a summer, then you may want go w/ a smaller 7mm. This caliber is very well suited for the heavy 7mm's (180's) and the like. Hopefully it has a twist rate to handle the heavy bullets. Anyway, I've been told about 800rnds max, but with proper care and barrel maintenance you should be able to get to 1000 or more, but don't quote me on that.

Tank

I haven't shot this round personally, but it definitely an overbore caliber that will eat barrels. If you keep as a shoot occasionally rifle, then it will last you for years. But if you plan on thumping 1000rnds through it in a summer, then you may want go w/ a smaller 7mm. This caliber is very well suited for the heavy 7mm's (180's) and the like. Hopefully it has a twist rate to handle the heavy bullets. Anyway, I've been told about 800rnds max, but with proper care and barrel maintenance you should be able to get to 1000 or more, but don't quote me on that.

Tank
I have one of these rifles.I have way more than 1000 roads through mine and it is a tack driver still. I shoot 168 bergers out of it.This gun shoot 1/4 moa everyday.I shoot it out to 800 yards all the time.I think a plain 7mm is just fine and will do almost everything the RUM will do if you are shooting for accuracy and not speed. Any questions send me a PM. I am going to build a 338 gun this spring so I can start shooting way past what my 7 is capable of.

Yes they fire crack throats more quickly than many rounds. Ask yourself how much you are really going to shoot the rifle. A 7RUM will probably alst an average hunter a lifetime with a little care. For a rifle looney not so long. If your going to shoot 20 rounds before season and 4 or 5 shots during season it may be a chambering you will appreciate. If you are a high volume shooter, you may want to pass unless it is a good deal. I personally look at barrels the same way as bullets and powder, just another expendable. I do try and do most of my shooting with 308 and 223 to save barrels but there is just something about pushing the velocity envelope that makes me want to run overbore rounds.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.