7mm RUM? Which bullet? 168 Berger VLD?

drenge

I'm trying to put together a 7mm RUM that will kill big stuff past 500 yards. I haven't been able to find much info on how this caliber shoots... Anyone like the 7mm rum? Is the 168 berger vld a good bullet for larger game at distances beyond 500? Is it consistent and accurate? How fast can I get the 168 to move? 3125?

I'm shooting the 180gr Berger VLD out of a 7mm RUM with a 27" Rock barrel at 3185 fps.
I'm sure you should be able to do a little better then 3125fps out of a 26" barrel with the 168's and it should be an excellent bullet for deer sized game out to at least 1000yds.
I've only shot 180's out to 300yds in testing and it's accuracy is sub .5 moa.
I know there are others who have shot the 168's on this forum, hopefully they'll chime in.
Hope this helps,
Wayne aka WAMBO

Thank you WAMBO! I would rather be shooting the 180 grain if I knew I could get enough velocity and it looks like you have done it. I'm also very pleased to hear about the accuracy. Is is a 9 twist out of your 27" Rock? What powder are you using? How much? Thanks again.

WAMBO, one more question... Are you having to adjust your BC much on your 180 vld? Or is it holding true?
Jim aka drenge

The twist is a 1-9" and I'm using Retumbo.
As far as the BC goes I really haven't looked into to it seeing that I haven't shot it at long range yet, might go out tomorrow and give it a try at 500 meters if I can find the time.
If I do I'll post with a range report.
Wayne aka WAMBO

Well I went to the range yesterday and shot a few groups at 500 meters, used the BC that I found on a website for the Berger 180gr VLD ( .68 ) and the come up from my 300yd zero was right on for 500 meters.
Elevation where I shoot at is around 2200 ft and it was about 80 degrees out.
I would give the 180 Bergers a try, might just be what you're looking for.
Wayne aka WAMBO

That's good to hear. I think I'll be shooting the 180's. Obviosly if you're shooting sub .5 moa at 300, you've got a great setup. How many grains of Retumbo are you using?

I'm using 89.5grs of Retumbo.
I shot a great group at 500 meters Saturday, 1.3125" which by my calculations equates to .23 moa, I really like this rifle too bad it's not mine as I'm only helping a friend out by working up a good load for him!
Wayne aka WAMBO

Wow! That's good shooting. I'll start building my 7 rum by spring. I look forward to seeing if I can even come close to that kind of accuracy.

speedbump... What is your experience with the amax or the cauterucio's as hunting bullets? How do you get a hold of information and ballistics on the cauterucios?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.