7mm RUM Re-barrel?

Doug in Alaska

I'm planning to have my Remington 700 re-barreled, same cartridge which is 7 RUM. I really want to keep the weight down but according to my gunsmith, a standard Remington contour won't support fluting. I would like a fluted barrel for this rifle. I was also told I could go with a heavier barrel if I have enough room between my stock and the current barrel. The stock is an H-S PS Sporter and it seems to me the channel cut is very generous. I may try to find a Hart barrel for this rifle. Any suggestions regarding contour or diameter I should be looking for? I don't want to do stock modifications but I'd like to be able to have it fluted.

Thanks

IMHO I would go with the the largest contour I could w/o modifying the stock...if not wanting to modify the stock or re-stock it. I wouldn't worry too much about weight as the current stock probably won't accomodate anything to heavy but maybe enough minimum contour so you can flute. Go to the barrel manufacturers website and check out some different contours.

I am rebarreling my 700 from a 7Rum to a 338 Rum. I just took off a Match ER Shaw in a Remington Varmint Contour. Its about perfect for weight and length. Its 26 inches. I am looking for a 338 barrel that is exactly the same but in 338 instead of 7RUM. If interested let me know. Nice thing is that its already threaded and chambered. Later

Jake

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.