7mm RUM or 300 RUM

oglebuck

I have chance to pickup a sendero in either 7RUM or 300RUM and need some input on the 2 calipers. I'm looking to have a 500-1200 yard whitetail deer rifle and can't decide between the 2. Both guns will have a muzzle break so recoil is not a factor. I will reload my own cartridges so I have multiple bullet configuration choices. I currently own and shoot a 7mm stw and love it. I'm just wanting a second long range riffle to share with my son. Could you guys please give me your choice between the 2 calipers and why. Thanks

2 cool calibers especialy if you reload. I used to have a 7RUM for many years and loved it.

The 7 has lest drop.

The 300 more punch!

If you look for somerthing defferent - more knokdown power, the 300
If you prefer flater trajectory, the 7

Mart

I have had three 7 RUMs and two 300 RUMs. I like both. Bullet choice may push you towards the 300 RUM.

The 7 RUM with its 1 in 9 14/ twist is right on the edge of stabilization for a 180 Berger. Two of the 7 RUMs I had would not stabilize the 180 Berger VLD, one did. I don't know about the new 180 hybrid.

The 300 RUM should be able to stabilize all weight Berger bullets.

IMO there is little difference between the 7 STW and the 7 RUM with 26" barrels, maybe 50 fps. I feel the 7 RUM needs a longer barrel to get max performance.

Hope that helps. If you decide on the 7 RUM and practice with it often you will soon be in the market for a new barrel. More length plus a faster twist would be a great improvement and you could shoot the upcoming 7mm 195 EOL Berger

Ok I have changed my mind a little. I like my STW and want a second rifle to play with. I have made my choices in 7RUM or just get a second 7STW so now give me your opinions on the 2. Reloading capabilities, barrel life and down right overall accuracy.

Out of the 2, I only reload for the RUM

Hdy SST and IB 154gr was my bullets. Never get good results from Sierra 160SPBT. You probably have your favorit 7mm bullets thought.

For powder, Retumbo was by far the fastess and also the most accurate. 7828 second for accuracy and RL25 the last.

WLRM primer and abviously Rem case.

With a simply beded 700BDL I was abble to get .75 MOA accuracy with multiple 3 shoot groups.

My load was quite fast at over 3400fps.

Take care if you push it to hard case life is very short... 3-4 shots.

note: I had to reduice my load to shoot IB at the same speed and to keep accuracy.

I've had the 7stw, the 7rum, and the 30 rum and they are all good rounds. If I had to choose I would go with the 7stw first, the 30 rum second, and the 7rum third. Ihave killed with all three and on deer size stuff there is no real difference. rl25 is the powder of choice for all three rounds as far as far as I've seen.

Ive been loading belted rounds for 40 years and never once saw where they needed anything any differnt then a standard case to reload.
A beltless case is easier to resize to factory specs than a belted case, so I prefer to reload beltless. Saves an extra operation with a special die.
db

Ive been loading belted rounds for 40 years and never once saw where they needed anything any differnt then a standard case to reload.

I am talking about a standard belted case. The area in front of the belt stretches and a FL die cannot resize this area close to new case specs. In some rifles, like autoloaders, the reload may not chamber and in bolt guns, you may notice the bolt takes more effort to close after several reloads. This can best be illustrated by chambering an unfired case and chambering a case that has been reloaded several times. You can also measure just above the belt on a new unfired case and compare that with a resized case. This difference can translate to accuracy problems. I only mentioned this that when choosing a long range round, it is better to choose a beltless case if you reload. Another problem is headspacing on a belt as opposed to the shoulder, but that's another thread.
db

i dont use magnum rounds in an auto loader but even standard rounds can be trouble in them. Thats why they make small base dies. Anymore i wont load ammo for my ar15s or ar10 without using a small base die. I dont know of a single auto loader thats chambered in one of the beltless mag rounds and I doubt theres ever going to be many even custom chambered for one. I dont know of a single handloader that loads mag brass headspacing it on the belt. Im more of a long range deer shooter then a comp shooter but ive seen 300 win mags win alot of long range shoots in the past. I think the differnce in a belt or no belt is more of an argument starter then anything that effects accuracy or reliability in the real world. At least for 99 percent of the people using them. As to accuracy ill say this. I dont have a single dedicated target gun. Closest thing would be my varmit rifles but the hands down best shooting gun in my safe is my 7stw. Its belted and its overbored but it still will shoot 1/2 inch 5 shot 100 yard groups with its favorite load and 3/4 inch for many other loads and thats with hunting bullets. The second best shooting HUNTING rifle i own is my 300 wby mag. Its a bit fussy but shoots 180 tsx into less then 3/4 of an inch at a a 100 yards again for 5 shots. Ive got rifles in about every standard caliber and none shoot as well as these two with the exception of one 06 i have thats a real shooter too. Ive seen more people even on here complain about finding accuracy in the 300 and 7mm ultras that i have the 7stw with its belt

Well, an answer to the original question, in my book would go to the 300 ultra. I have owned one or two of them and if you get one with a decent barrel, they shoot very well, flat, and hit hard. Additionally I have owned a 7 rum. My experience with it was that I found it to be finicky in load development. Barrel life sucks, and put another way, a STW is about as much overbore that a seven mil. can be, and still be SHOOTABLE. I have found that by the time you get it to be repeatable, you are at STW velocities. So why burn the extra powder.
The argument about belted mags and non belted mags is just like the old chevy vs ford argument. I have been shooting belted mags for 30 years, and once you learn how to set the dies, they are NO different than a non belted mag. Now I'm sure I ruffled a few feathers by that statement, but I think there are others here that will agree.
If you have a STW, then the 7rum probably isn't needed. But if you are looking for a Fast 30' that will shoot well, and aren't too finicky, the 300 rum will fit the bill.
Don't fall for that belted versus non belted speal, it's a load of crap. My 2 cents goes for the 300 RUM, leave the seven alone.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.