7mm RUM HELP

brewski86

I can not get my 7mm RUM to shoot a good group. Last year I had it shooting 1/2 moa at 100yrs. I shoot 168 bergers with 88.5 grains of Retumbo. I sent it in to Remington for the trigger recall and when I took it out to re sight it in it's all over the place. It will shoot 2 that are good but then it starts throwing them all over the place. I let it cool between shoots, but that doesn't seem to matter. Does this sound like a barrel or stock problem? I bought two new high end scopes thinking this was it but it still does it. Any info would be great.

That could be tough to track down, but if it shot good before you sent it off to REM then really you just need to look at what has changed. Either something in your scope mounts/rings or your trigger? Has anything else been changed....powder lot#, bullets lot#, primer lot#, different brass? I feel your pain.

No nothing has changed other than the trigger. I even went out and bought new powder thinking maybe that was it. Sent it to a friend that ran a bore scope down the barrel and thought everything looked good. could the stock be causing it to shoot so sporadic? What could have changed when REM took it apart to clean the trigger? I have put 60+ rounds through it and it won't group.

I don't know which stock you have, but I would be checking the action screws for the correct torque. Every rifle I have put my hands on has a sweet spot.

I agree with the stock mounting theory. You might take it all the way apart and make sure nothing foreign is in the way and then put it back together and torque correctly in the correct order.

Steve

if u have a bore sighter check the position of the cross hairs. remember to write this postion down

morning, very similar to a problem i had with my 7wsm.

take the action out of the stock. check for wear marks on the action and barrel

if none found. reassemble with the action screws.

torque the front screw to 25in lbs, do the same to the rear

if there is a center screw leave this alone.

take a rubber mullet and softly tap the action on both sides

torque the front screw to 65 in lbs, then do the same to the rear

tap again. check the torque on the screws again, Now tighten the center screw

if there is a center screw to a snug not tight

check with bore sighter to see if the cross hairs changed??

take to range and fire 3 rounds. spaced 5 minutes apart did ur rifle shoot better??

u might have to do this several times to find the right torque.gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.