7mm RUM and 190 Matrix

sledder1

Im wondering if anyone has tried this combination out? I recently had a 7mm RUM built on a Rem 700 action and Chanlynn barrel. I had the reamer made so that I could touch the lands with the 180 bergers and still have full neck tension. I started out with 86 gr of Retumbo with the 180 bergers .020 off the lands and am getting around 3150 fps with no pressure signs. Im anxious to try the 190 Matrix and am wondering if anyone has had any luck with them.

I am also really curious about the performance of the 7mm matrix bullets. Although I am more interested in the 168 grain bullets any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jason

Hey guys! I don't know anyone that has done any loading with the 168's but my gunsmith has been playing with the 190 matrix and has had really good luck with them. The one thing to note on them is that the B.C. on them is not as high as it should be, it in the low 600's according to my gunsmith and he had a difference of about 30" at 1k with the 180VLD being the flatter shooting of the two loaded at the same velocity. But as far a his grouping at 100 go's, it was just one lil hole that got tighter the faster he pushed it.

Well I've done some testing and I'm really starting to like these bullets. After ditching the Remington brass in favor of nosler 300 RUM brass necked down, I was able to get 3100 fps with 86 gr Retumbo. Accuracy has been great, shooting a three shot group in one ragged hole at 100 yards. I need to do some more long range testing to verify my results, but on my first outing with this load I was shooting 1125 yards and 1500 yards using a b.c. of .76 to calculate my drops. At 1125 I was right on target but was about 8" low at 1500. Using those numbers to recalculate my drops give a corrected b.c. of approx .72. Of course I need to verify this with more shooting but these preliminary numbers are exactly what I was hoping for. I hope this info can be helpful to others looking to use this combination

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.