7MM RUM , 162 Hornady's & Retumbo

G

7MM RUM , 162 Hornady\'s & Retumbo

I would like some advice from S1 and anyone else who might have some experience with the 7MM RUM. I would like to try out some 162gr Hornady bullets with Retumbo but I'm unsure of a starting load. The bottle says 94grs for a 160 Nosler Partition. Would 90 grs be a safe place to start with the Hornady's or should I start lower. I have many years of experience reloading but without clear data on a cartridge I'm not experienced with I would appreciate any and all advice. I have not been able to find hardly any loading data on this cartridge.
Thank you all in advance for your help.
Wayne

Re: 7MM RUM , 162 Hornady\'s & Retumbo

Call Sierra,..they will e-mail you their newest data. I find that talking to the guys there, puts you ahead of the game.

Retumbo is a funny powder,..a few of the members here have not gotten even close to max loads before pressure signs were apparant. I have loaded some for the 300RUM, but I went wayyy below max as a starting point and figure safe is always better. I'll work up from there.

Howdy Wayne....90 grains is plenty safe to start with the 162 A-Max and Fed 210 primers.

Do not be suprised if the rifle tunes up between 92.0 and 93.5 grains with the bullet named above using reasonable light neck tension.
wink.gif

Thanks for the replies.
Just C, I did email Sierra and they didn't have any data yet for the 7MM RUM. Dave said that they got a Savage in 7MM RUM to do some testing with and there was a problem with it so they sent it back and haven't received another yet.
S1, are you recommending I use a standard primer instead of a magnum?
Thanks again guys for your replies.
Wayne

I would always choose the Fed 210 over the 215 as long as the temperature is above 15 degrees fh.

Thanks S1, I will give the 210's a try.
Wayne

Just for information, I had to go to a F-215 primer when using RL-22 and a 150gr. NBT due to case not sealing allowing so much blow-by that it was denting the case below the shoulder. This is in a new Sendero in 7 RUM.

db

db,
Funny you should mention that as I had one do the same thing. The load was 85grs of RL25 with Hornady 162 lit by a F215. I just figured the load was too light, only one out of 9 did it though.
Wayne

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.