7mm RM and H 1000

red dawg

Hey guys, I recently developed a load for my 7 mag using H 1000 and 168 bergers the only info on h1000 other than reloaders nest was on the hodgdon web site. The test barrel used by hodgdon was 24 inch and was using 69grains to 71 grains producing 2744 fps to 2806 fps. I have a shilen varmint contour 27.5 inch barrel so it wasnt apples to apples. I started low in a ladder test from 63 grains increased by half grain till I reached 66.5 till my groups started getting wide. My sweet spot of 66 grains produced one hole groups as long as I do my part. I chronographed it with 66 grains and I was pleasantly surprised with a muzzle velocity average of 3050 fps. My question is is this odd for that length of barrel to peak at 66grains where a 24inch is using 69 to 71 grains?

Seems like you reached a node well below max pressure. The longer barrel length gave you some extra fps There may be another mode near 70 grains. I would keep going up in charge weight until I saw pressure signs or reached the published max load. If you don't mind lugging around the extra barrel weight with no real benefit, then go with what you have.

Hey guys, I recently developed a load for my 7 mag using H 1000 and 168 bergers the only info on h1000 other than reloaders nest was on the hodgdon web site. The test barrel used by hodgdon was 24 inch and was using 69grains to 71 grains producing 2744 fps to 2806 fps. I have a shilen varmint contour 27.5 inch barrel so it wasnt apples to apples. I started low in a ladder test from 63 grains increased by half grain till I reached 66.5 till my groups started getting wide. My sweet spot of 66 grains produced one hole groups as long as I do my part. I chronographed it with 66 grains and I was pleasantly surprised with a muzzle velocity average of 3050 fps. My question is is this odd for that length of barrel to peak at 66grains where a 24inch is using 69 to 71 grains?

That is the same load that I shoot- H1000/ 66gr, 168 VLds. Of course, I have a stock Sendero (26" barrel). My MV is 2800fps. I chose to stop here and use my scope to reach out. Maybe not wear out the barrel as fast.

Thanks guys, I dont carry it far, Im hoping to let the gun do the leg work. Where I hunt in south missouri, 400 yds is a fairly long shot

Seems like you reached a node well below max pressure. The longer barrel length gave you some extra fps There may be another mode near 70 grains. I would keep going up in charge weight until I saw pressure signs or reached the published max load. If you don't mind lugging around the extra barrel weight with no real benefit, then go with what you have.

First off, if he is at 3000+ FPS, he is not "well below max Pressure". I don't care if he is only using 66 grains of powder. Pushing a 168 Gr out of a 7MMRem Mag at 3000+ FPS is near top working PSI.

Now, it may be that his chrono is off. It may be that his scale is not reading right. But , if the numbers are correct, he is nearing top SAFE PSI. He would be well advised that if he is going to move toward 70 grains that he do it SLOWLY!!!

4x for fun, Thanks for the info, I am new to this site but not to reloading, I have reloaded for 23 years and the only factory ammo I have is rim fire. And you are correct I got cratered primers at 67.5 this gun is a mid load range gun, all the loads I have developed for it is mid range.

+1

In my 7RM using H1000 and 150 ETips I started seeing pressure signs at 69.5-70.0. In loading the copper solids I've come to the conclusion that they pretty much fall in line with cup and core loads one step higher. In other words a 150 ETip loads like a 168 leaded bullet. Length and bearing surface are usually fairly similar too. Also I am getting somewhere around 3000-3100 fps with that load.

I got 3200 running a ladder of R22 but only because pressure and velocity jumped significantly with minute increases in powder. I can run 70.0 gr Retumbo for 3150 or so but accuracy and ES are poor compared to H1000.

4x for fun, Thanks for the info, I am new to this site but not to reloading, I have reloaded for 23 years and the only factory ammo I have is rim fire. And you are correct I got cratered primers at 67.5 this gun is a mid load range gun, all the loads I have developed for it is mid range.

Is it a Remington 700? Mine craters primers at starting load due to oversized firing pin hole. My older 700's don't do that.

So just for fun, my QL run shows 7RM with a 168Berger Hunting VLD seated 3.43 COAL loaded with 69.0 grains H1000 to be 53K PSI and 2958fps with a 27.5 inch barrel ...

I dont know what to tell ya, I took this rifle to a gun smith because I thought the load was weak, and He set up his chrony and told me that guns are not the same. I read hodgdon data and hoped for 2950 fps He also has a 7mag and just gets that speed out of 160 grainers and rl 22 with a 26 in tube

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts