7mm rifle build

Sinko

Okay I have all the components and am about ready to get it together. Only one question remains. What cartridge? My 700 long action has a standard bolt face and I m pretty set on one of two. 280 AI or 284 win. Both have brass available howbeit neither are found in every gun shop. Similar performance, I think the Ackley will edge out the 284. Both have good barrel life. Neither are hard on recoil. I've always wanted a 280 Ackley even before nosler made it cool, but in my mind I think the 284 makes just as much sense, maybe more. So tell me why you would opt for one over the other.

Thanks.

I would opt for the 280 Sherman because if you want to be a bear, you might as well be a grizzly But to answer your question, the 280 A.I. is a better designed case than the 284 and will out run it.

I would opt for the 280 Sherman because if you want to be a bear, you might as well be a grizzly But to answer your question, the 280 A.I. is a better designed case than the 284 and will out run it.

I get what you're saying about the Sherman but I'm not into the extra effort of fire forming brass. I'm going to do something that I can buy brass and start shooting. Another thing I keep thinking about is in a pinch I can shoot 280 rem out of the Ackley.

Last edited:
280 AI for sure, it's an awesome cartridge and amazingly accurate.

I have built 8 and soon to be 9
Defiance Action/Benchmark Barrel for the next one.

I own and have owned 7mm Wby, 7mm Rem Mag, 280 Rem, 28 Nosler, and when I go hunting I reach for the 280 AI every time

.280 Sherman... All day long! It's basically an improved version of a .280 AI.

But, since you're wanting to avoid fire-forming, go for a SAAMI spec'd .280 AI, and shoot the Nosler .280 AI brass.

Depending on what your doing for feeding it if its a repeater the 284 may actually be a better choice in terms of COAL as its shorter but fatter. Certainly would chose it if you did not go AI on the 280 as the 284 would have more capacity and given lapua is there for either there really is not a bad choice.

IMO the 6.5x284 is a more efficient better design than the 06. A simple neck up mandrel and you are in business.

I never shoot factory ammo in any of my guns accept some of my combat focused 5.56 AR etc. So factory ammo is not a consideration to me.
Is what will likely be a very small gain in vel the main goal?
Do you plan to use high end brass like lapua regardless of choice?
Tech if you did the same AI treatment to the 284 case you would likely be dead even on perf. Admittedly the gain over stock would be much smaller as its a fairly maximized case to begin with. IMO not really worth it to have to get custom dies.

I have had a 284 win in the collection for 35 yrs. At one time had three! I also have had the 25-284 and still have a 6mm-284.

If you choose the 284 win I would suggest you have a reamer made with a longer throat to utilize that LA. AND get some of the special run Norma brass that the owner, Shiraz Balolia, of Grizzly Industrial had made, while it is still around. It is on sale as bullets.com is closing soon.

https://www.bullets.com/products/-284-Winchester-Brass-Cases-100-Count/BL11927
This may be the best 284 brass ever made. "double-drawn for body consistency and the heads are double-stamped for longer primer pocket life"

http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/08/ultra-high-grade-norma-284-win-brass-now-available/

I had a 7mm 1-9 twist brux laying around and built my first 284 win this spring
175 berger elite hunter 56.5 RL-26 2845 25 inch barrel should have built one sooner.

my 280 rem needs to be 3.480 long and 4 more grains of powder to match the velocity and then it is single feed. the 284 win is only 3.210 long will mag feed with no extra work on action. 284 win also has lapua brass option. 280 ackley will be the better choice if velocity is a big concern and the 280 will be better if factory ammo is a concern. pick one and enjoy

What twist rate and what bullet you planning on using? I'd be leaning 180 ELD-M and would go 8 twist.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts