7mm Remington speed with 150 grain Ballistic Tips?

Lonnie

Well, I decided to go with the 7mm Remington Magnum for a variety of reasons. What I would like to know, what is realistic speed I should expect in a 7mm Rem Mag, shooting 150 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips in a 26 inch barrel. Gun will be custom Remington 700, Broughton barrel.

Thanks

According to Nosler you could get 3,250 ft/sec with a max charge of IMR4350. Their test rifle had a 24" bbl.

The average max velocity with other powders ran about 100 ft/sec less, give or take.

I have an unfinished 7mm barrel blank that is 29.25 inches long. It will finish up to 27.75 inches long. What kind of velocity would 150 gr BT's get in a 7mm Remington mag with a 26 or even 27 inch barrel? Would it be getting close to the 7mm STW speeds with a long barrel?

I forgot to mention that the barrel is a Broughton 5c barrel. I like heavy guns, and the barrel is a light varmint contour.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Wonder if it will be it faster or slower? Time will tell. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Lonnie,

Hopefully this is on topic. In my 28" Douglas 7-.300 Weatherby I got 3,525 feet per second with 150 Nosler Balistic Tips. It used 85 grains of IMR7828. With 80 grains of H4831 and 77 grains of IMR4350 it achieved 3,400 fps.

The 150 BT is my "go-to" bullet in the 7mm mag:

CIMG0466.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts