7mm Remington Magnum

ADMIN

Administrator
ADMIN submitted a new Article:

7mm Remington Magnum

7mm Remington Magnum
By Nathan Foster

History

When the Mauser brothers designed the 7x57 cartridge for use in their M93 military bolt action rifle, the excellent qualities inherent in the 7mm bore diameter soon became apparent to cartridge designers all over the world. Here was a cartridge that produced a flatter trajectory than most of its competition, minimal wind drift and potentially, optimum terminal performance at extended ranges. Following these...

Read more about this article here...

Great article. I first "discovered" the 7 MAG around 1973. There was nothing I didn't like about it. Shortly thereafter I moved to Wyoming and then it showed it's true colors. Using 160 Partitions it was responsible for many elk steaks over 13 years.

Another very informative article by Nathan Foster. I have learned a lot from his site over the years, as he explains in detail the capabilities (and shortcomings) of cartridges and many of the projectiles and factory ammo for each. One general article on shooting technique he wrote is titled "Hold That Forend" which in particular helped me bring my 7mm RM into the realm of consistent .5 MOA performance. I'm sure everyone on this site would benefit from visiting his.

As noted above, Mr. Foster's research and depth of knowledge is very informative. While he mentions slower powders are preferred, I have found a recipe using H4350 behind a 160 gr. Speer works extremely well in my particular rifle. I have larger calibers for elk and so keep this rifle on hand for heavy mule deer where it performs admirably.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.