7mm Remington Mag Shooters

I have used a Model 700 7rem mag 9.25 twist for about 7 years. I have used 175 vld, 175 eldx, 175 gamekings, all with RETUMBO and a liitle playing around and they all shoot sub moa at 2900-2950 fps.

Have harvested 3 bulls, 4 cows, 3 antelope, 1 whitetail buck

all the above bullets did the job fine, not tracking any of them BUT shot placement is the ticket.

The bergers proably kill the best BUT if you want to eat the meat I suggest don't go with them. Head shots with the eldx so cannot say much about them.[the bull for my profile pic was eldx @ 450 yards] The buck was quartering away at 75 yards and shot with gamekings and it was perfection, it went 25 yards and little to no loss of meat

Hope this is what you wanted ☺

Care to give load data with the retumbo? I have 5 lbs that I was using for my 300 RUM but have since abandoned that and am having a 7RM being built.

According to twist calculators I need a 8 twist to fully stabilize the 180 eld and 183 smk. I'm at 1000ft
Shooing Berger 180's a 9 twist is totally sufficient at 7RM velocities. Minimum Sg is 1.4xx and on the high end it's over 1.6. That's solid country to be in right there.

I just did the math using the 180ELD specs and I see it getting 1.6Sg's on a 9 twist at 1000' doing 2950fps at 90F and 1.4 at 20F. A 9 twist is just perfect for them.

When using the 183 SMK on the other hand an 8.5 twist is sufficient at magnum velocities in relatively thin air but an 8 twist becomes a good idea especially if you venture into the wilds when it's literally freezing cold as the Sg drops a bit much in cold air on an 8.5.

If you want to shoot really far, like deep transonic you need tractability which is enhanced by not overspinning your bullet.

Care to give load data with the retumbo? I have 5 lbs that I was using for my 300 RUM but have since abandoned that and am having a 7RM being built.
retumbo load data is available at IMRpowder.com in the Reloading Data Center. They don't seem to be shy about putting stout loads up there.

Shooing Berger 180's a 9 twist is totally sufficient at 7RM velocities. Minimum Sg is 1.4xx and on the high end it's over 1.6. That's solid country to be in right there.

I just did the math using the 180ELD specs and I see it getting 1.6Sg's on a 9 twist at 1000' doing 2950fps at 90F and 1.4 at 20F. A 9 twist is just perfect for them.

When using the 183 SMK on the other hand an 8.5 twist is sufficient at magnum velocities in relatively thin air but an 8 twist becomes a good idea especially if you venture into the wilds when it's literally freezing cold as the Sg drops a bit much in cold air on an 8.5.

If you want to shoot really far, like deep transonic you need tractability which is enhanced by not overspinning your bullet.

Can you run the SG with a 9.5 twist? I wouldn't hunt with this weight due to issues with stability and good expansion but I would love to do some longer shots than what my 6.5 may be capable of. I'm hoping to run the 180 at 2950-3000 fps

Can you run the SG with a 9.5 twist? I wouldn't hunt with this weight due to issues with stability and good expansion but I would love to do some longer shots than what my 6.5 may be capable of. I'm hoping to run the 180 at 2950-3000 fps
With the berger 180 and Hornady 180 ELD-M it's coming out lower than I like. At 1000' elevation depending on temp I'm getting mid 1.2's to mid 1.4's until you get to like 130F. I wouldn't go slower than a 9 with a 7RM and that's keeping Sg properly on the low side still but feel free to experiment and let us know how things turn out.

With the berger 180 and Hornady 180 ELD-M it's coming out lower than I like. At 1000' elevation depending on temp I'm getting mid 1.2's to mid 1.4's until you get to like 130F. I wouldn't go slower than a 9 with a 7RM and that's keeping Sg properly on the low side still but feel free to experiment and let us know how things turn out.
I thought about trying them in my 9.5. I doubt it's worth the time or money. I know the 162 and the 168 shoot well. The 4dof says its avout a 1.3 at 70°f with the 180 at 3000 fps

If I do go up from my 6.5 CM it will be a 7mm Mag not sure which one. Ive been looking at the Weatherby but would guess that the brass is expensive and hard to find, dont know have not looked. Have heard some great things about the Weatherby Vanguard S2 as for cost and for accuracy. Saw one the other day for $499 New but was chambered for the .240 Just would feel a little more relaxed shooting the big 7 for elk.

View attachment 90698 My group at 200 yds with my all time favorite load!! This is from a basic Savage 7mm LRH. Have yet to find a rifle this load didn't shoot great with!

Wait for it ....

Base to ogive 3.745 (.015 0ff the lands)
168gr berger vld
Winchester brass
Winchester magnum primer
Retumbo-69.3gr
Fps 3037 (24"barrel) 9FPS extreme spread

Not hot what so ever (in my rifle anyways)

Enjoy!!

Your welcome
Very Impressive...............

I just went through this and ended up settling on the 7-300wm
Brass is really easy to make and always available.
Hoping to run the 175's at 3100+ out of a 28" Brux
You almost can't make a bad choice, there are a lot of options out there and most are good ones.

If I do go up from my 6.5 CM it will be a 7mm Mag not sure which one. Ive been looking at the Weatherby but would guess that the brass is expensive and hard to find, dont know have not looked. Have heard some great things about the Weatherby Vanguard S2 as for cost and for accuracy. Saw one the other day for $499 New but was chambered for the .240 Just would feel a little more relaxed shooting the big 7 for elk.

While the vanguards are good guns, not sure they chamber one in 7mm wby. And if they do it'll probably have a 10 twist. Norma makes the brass, so it can be ordered and it's premium brass.

I shoot a remington 700 long range with a leupold vx5hd with the 29 moa reticle. I use hornady custom brass, hornady 175 eld-x bullets, 62.5gr of reloader 22 and remington 9 1/2 primers. Very accurate combo and recoil is much more pleasant than a 220 gr out of a 300 win mag.

I just bought my 3rd 7RM. Its one of the new modular Accufit stock Savage 110 hunter ,got it at Grabagun for $534 and $8 shipping. Its an 9.5 twist however. At that price if the barrel doesn't work out I'll put an 8 twist on it.
Screenshot_20180212-183523.png

I might even try 150 Eldx just for kix. Might be able to push them to 3200 fps or so.?
I bought it for a donor action and stock, BUT being a Savage I always give the factory barrel a chance. Sometimes those factory Savage barrels are surprisingly accurate.

Last edited:
I just put together a 7 mag 26" barrel with 1:9 twist. I'm pushing a 180 gr Lapua Scenar with Retumbo with speeds around 2950 fps. So far I have been impressed with it, and its shooting great to 1053 yards. I need to stretch it out farther and see how it performs.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.