7mm Rem Mag

RockyMtnMT

Official LRH Sponsor
Looking for experience with 7mag and 175g Hornady. Running a 28" barrel. Tried RL 22, but doesn't seem to be getting it done. At max published load still no pressure signs. Thinking I should try slower.

Factory Rem action, McGowen barrel, 9" twist.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
Try imr 7828 it works great in my 7mm rem. The burn rate is slower and have found no problems loading to min or max with any bullit.gun)

Steve,I used to shot 67.5 IMR 7828 over a fed 215, w/175 grand slam, That load was from '89 . M y son started shooting that gun this year and I HAVE BOXES for him to shoot before I REWORK, good luck

Last edited:
Thanks guys,

Thinking about trying a slower powder, like 50 BMG. Would like to get a full case, and thinking that the 28" barrel will give enough time to burn all the powder.

Any thoughts on how this will work?

Steve

Shooting 168 Bergers, I had to go the other way. I ended up getting best velocities and accuracy out of RL19 but that was only a 26" barrel.

Good luck!

How many grains with the Retumbo. I prefer to run a full or close to full case if at all possible. I think you get much less velocity spread. I have not spent much time with the 7mag. I hope that I'm not chasing my tail looking for a full case load with heavy bullets.

Steve

Steve,

H1000 with that 175 Hornandy works for me in a Browning A-bolt SS Stalker 26" barrel with Fed215's and Fed brass. I don't have the loading available as I not close to my bench. But I do know this is what powder worked for me with that bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.