7mm rem. mag.

bigdadiwoowoo

hi anyone have any advice on the 7mm rem. mag. is it a good gun for long range hunting? i'm not looking for comparisons because i own it already just checking to see how good of a caliber it is for distance shooting. i'd appreciate the help.

For hunting , my experience tells me it's one of the best, if i were to pick my favorite rifle for long range hunting i would use my 300 mag. Not because it's really all that much better, just like that rifle better, if it were chambered in 7mm mag i'd still use it. My younger brother is one of the best rifle shots i have ever seen, well come to think of it i have a cousin just as good , both use 7mm mags for all there big game hunting, both have made some incredible shots on whitetail and mule deer. growing up we used to shoot every day with 22 cal or whatever and we all became very good shot's. I personally have never shot a deer over 450 yds simply never had the opportunity to. But my brother and my cousin both have shot game way beyond that, out west. Alway's with a 7mm mag. There are guy's on here that will tell you there are better cal. And indeed there are, if you were shooting competition and building one of the specialty rifles... mabye you would look to something else. But for hunting..... trust me , if you do your part, the 7mm mag will never let you down. My cousin Tim and a few other guy's were out west hunting some years ago, and saw a big muley buck on a far ridge, Tim layed down and propped his old rem 700 on his pack and asked.. How far is he? one of the guy's had a lazer good to 800yds ... well he's over 800 was the reply... Tim said i can hit him. Everyone else said.... don't shoot .. he's to far. And for everyone of them other guy's ..he was to far. But when Tims rifle cracked there was a lapse in time as the bullet traveled the distance, the buck lurched forward a few hops and fell over, a 162 grain 7mm mag through the shoulder . what more could ya want?

thanks. i appreciate the help. i'm kinda depressed right now lol cuz i've seen a few threads where some the guys say a ruger m77 isn't that great of a gun. most said it was because there wasn't much upgrade to do to the gun. i was like **** why couldn't i find this forum before i bought the gun. lmao. of course i don't plan on doing any 1000 yard competitions with the gun or anything of that nature still want to have a gun capable of making long distance shots. i'm a guy it's in our dna lol. thanks again.

The M77 isn't a bad gun, just not easy to customize. Ensure you get the trigger slicked up, and bed the stock. Use good glass and you can shoot 5-600 meters on game if you practice. That's farther than most people really shoot while hunting anyway. And Oh Ya, the 7 Rem Mag is the best all around North American round. Might not want to tackle the big bears with it, but it would work. Ensure you use a well constructed bullet.

The M77 isn't a bad gun, just not easy to customize. Ensure you get the trigger slicked up, and bed the stock. Use good glass and you can shoot 5-600 meters on game if you practice. That's farther than most people really shoot while hunting anyway. And Oh Ya, the 7 Rem Mag is the best all around North American round. Might not want to tackle the big bears with it, but it would work. Ensure you use a well constructed bullet.

the bullets that i've been using is Rem. Premier® Scirocco™
Bonded 150 gr. haven't shot any custom bullets or anything like that. i've researched alot of bullets and from wat the ballistics say these are one of the better bullets.

I have 2 of the 'serious' :D long range calibers that you read about on this board (338 Allen Mag and 338 Edge). If I had to choose only one of my rifles, it would be my 7mm Rem Mag. My longest kill with it is more than 800yds. The 7mm Rem Mag is a fantastic chambering. Don't worry about your Ruger M77, smooth the trigger, bed the action and expect a long range capable rifle (if you do your part). You'll want to reload to get the most from the rifle though, as factory loadings leave a lot of performance on the table.

AJ

My 7mm Rem Mag is my go-to gun. Relatively low recoil for the high BC bullets. It's a great round; especially when paired with the Sierra 168gr SMK's.

If the 7mm RM is good enough for the secret service, it's good enough for me. :D

nothing wrong with 77's i own quite a few, all have very acceptable accuracy for a hunting rifle. But only one of them would i consider a long range rifle, it's a 25-06 that was done over by a good gunsmith, it's biggest hindrence for ranges over 500, is caliber. I agree with AJ peacock,, get a trigger job done on it... and bed the action... reload... and ... practice...practice.. practice... far more important than caliber is accuracy of your rifle. A tack driving 308 would be far better at long range (over 400 yds) than a 7mm mag that can't hold better than a 11/2" group at 100 yds, as distance increases so does your group size, alot of things come into play over 400 yds, shooting form, controlling your breathing... wind drift... ect... ect... ect.. but the best shooting form in the world aint gonna amount to much if your rifle is throwing wash tub size groups at 800 yds. As noted in my first post I would choose my model 70 300 mag for ultra long range, not because of caliber, but because that rifle is the most accurate gun i own it was done over by a good gunsmith and will shoot tight groups any day of the week. Truth be told most hunting weight sporter weight rifles need some work done before they will shoot accurate enough for reliable long range work. despite what the guy's at hunting camp might say about their" trusty thutty ought six" most factory jobs are 500 yds and less rifles.

any of you guys familiar with the timney triggers? i found out that they off adjustable triggers but i'm not to familiar with them. also would it be a good idea to blueprint the action and get the barrel fluted? i mean is it worth the money spent?

I've had a Timney trigger on my Rem 700 7mm Rem Mag for nearly 10years

I wouldn't flute a barrel that is finished, I use barrels that are fluted during manufacturing though.

If your rifle shoots good enough with a good trigger and bedding job, getting the action blueprinted is wasted money in my opinion, especially if you aren't getting a top end barrel/stock etc.

AJ

any of you guys familiar with the timney triggers? i found out that they off adjustable triggers but i'm not to familiar with them. also would it be a good idea to blueprint the action and get the barrel fluted? i mean is it worth the money spent?

I realize this thread is old ,But it has been my interest
Lately.Remington 700 7mmRemMag andI have been shooting Timney Trigger is mandatory
At 3/4 of a mile with 165 gr sp factory loads!Amazing Nikon Monarch is a thing of Beauty!,,,,,,:Dgun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts