7mm REM Mag

dgkypke

Just got a new rifle to me, probably a mid /late 50's Bulgarian military Mauser action 7mm REM Mag. What is the calculated best weight grain for this rifle? I keep hearing 140's for the .264, so there must be a favorite here at 7 mm? Opinions please! Ca, non lead ideas?

When I hunted with the 7mmRemMag., 20-25 yrs ago, I ran the 150gn Ballistic Tip in front of RL22. It was sub 1/2 MOA in my Sendero out to 500yds, easy. It wasn't the only bullet I ran through it but made up 75% or the 1300-1400 rounds it took to shoot the factory barrel out.
I have a 700P in 7mmRM now that I rarely shoot but did try (1/13/18) some 169.5gn Wildcats w/RL26 and BR2's. Accuracy was 1/2"ish with velocity averaging 3062 fps, ES 6, SD 3.06. I only had a couple dozen and they're no more.

A couple of my buddies shoot the 140gn AccuBonds in their 7Mag's with great result on 0-400yd shots for NC whitetails and the occasional black bear. If I were to pick a hunting bullet today for my rifle it would be in the 160gn class. Either an AccuBond, GK or maybe the Partition. I do not have any experience with any of the monolithic (lead free) style bullets, other than the Barnes. I shot the Triple Shocks in a couple different cartridges, back when they first came on line. They were always extremely accurate with good penetration and killed like lightening. I would use the 140-160gn range with these. The 7 Mag is a stone cold killer and a great rifle to have in your inventory.

Deer. Ballistic tips work well. I shoot 150 grain.
160 Accubond for elk.
The 160 class bullets at close to 3k are hard to beat for all around.

You mentioned non lead for CA. The Barnes bullets and Hammer bullets near 150 gr would be a good experiment. I shot the 145 LRX out of a 280AI at 200 yds and is very accurate.
Twist rate is 8.4, so you need to know what your barrel is. The 168 Barnes would keyhole in a 9.25 twist of another 7 mag I have

Attachments

• 20201015_153306.jpg
    20201015_153306.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 35
I think you may have to go with whatever you can find right now. The guys that know say you are not using all of the rifles capability if you are using less than about 160 grn. bullets I agree with that but they also say you will get the best performance from a lighter, faster, bullet in copper. I currently have a very small amount of the copper 140grn. Hornady that I haven't shot any critters with yet but it shoots well. Good shooting MT.

I don't get why we are recommending lead bullets but oh well.

I would recommend you go light on the Copper Mono's. Something like a 131gr Hammer Hunter, a 120gr TTSX or a 140gr TTSX.

Check your barrel twist though to make sure you will stabilize some of these bullets. If you go higher weight you'll need a faster twist.

Last edited:
When I hunted with the 7mmRemMag., 20-25 yrs ago, I ran the 150gn Ballistic Tip in front of RL22. It was sub 1/2 MOA in my Sendero out to 500yds, easy. It wasn't the only bullet I ran through it but made up 75% or the 1300-1400 rounds it took to shoot the factory barrel out.
I have a 700P in 7mmRM now that I rarely shoot but did try (1/13/18) some 169.5gn Wildcats w/RL26 and BR2's. Accuracy was 1/2"ish with velocity averaging 3062 fps, ES 6, SD 3.06. I only had a couple dozen and they're no more.

A couple of my buddies shoot the 140gn AccuBonds in their 7Mag's with great result on 0-400yd shots for NC whitetails and the occasional black bear. If I were to pick a hunting bullet today for my rifle it would be in the 160gn class. Either an AccuBond, GK or maybe the Partition. I do not have any experience with any of the monolithic (lead free) style bullets, other than the Barnes. I shot the Triple Shocks in a couple different cartridges, back when they first came on line. They were always extremely accurate with good penetration and killed like lightening. I would use the 140-160gn range with these. The 7 Mag is a stone cold killer and a great rifle to have in your inventory.
Sounds absolutely wonderful, thank you for your input!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.