7mm rem mag

remingtonman_25_06

Alright guys, heres the scoop. I traded my 300 RUM for a 7mm rem mag. Its my 3rd one, I think I'll be keeping this one. Its a Rem 700 BDL wood/blued. I need to get the trigger worked on as its a newer model and I cant seem to break those seals of god on the newer models. I intend to shoot either the 162g amax, 168g vld,smk, or 175g smk, 180g vld. I'm thinking I should stick with the 160 weights. Just wondering if anyone has any loads they would share with some target bullets. I might try a 160g AB, but thats really on the backburner as far as bullets. I will be topping it off with my Leupold MK4, 4.5-14x50 LR/T. It should be what I'm looking for now. Good 1000 yard rifle for targets, deer, coyotes, and will be a good 800 yard rifle for elk and bears. I wont be burning 95g of powder anymore either, more like 65g. Thank god. Need to get that trigger worked down to about 2lbs, then start finding a load. First bullet on hand is 168g vld's. My dad has a box of them and I think I"ll borrow some. Whats the top powders for velocity, accuracy, and consistency? Not to much experience with 7 mag, I've owned 2 previously, but did not own them long enough to shoot anything with them. Thanks.

I have a couple of 7mmRMs- I shoot 168 VLDs @3100fps in one, and 180 VLDs @3000 fps in the other.

Reloader 19, 22 (Would be my first choices)
IMR 4831, H4831
Retumbo
IMR 4350, H4350
Fed 215m primers

Good luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

RL22 is a great powder for the 7mm RM and 160 gr bullets.
I'm sure you will end up with a shooter.

JD338

What powder are you using to get 3100fps with the 168's, and 3000fps with the 180's?? Just curious. My bbl is only 24" so I was hoping more along the lines of 3000fps for the 168's, and 2850-2900fps for the 180's. Thats assuming it shoots at top loaded levels also. I ran the numbers with a 168g vld, BC .640, 3000fps, it still has 1100lbs at 1000 yards. More then enough for any buck I'll ever shoot. Still has around 1,400lbs at 800 yards, which is more then enough for elk and bears. I have a little Rl-19, Rl-22, and will probly get some h4831sc. Seems I might try RL19-22 first. Thanks.

Well guys, I think I"m done load testing for my 7 mag already. Last night I went out and shot 10 factory corelokts so I could get some brass to work up some loads. When I got home, I loaded up some 168g vld's on top of 64,65,65.5g RL-22, in Remington brass, Fed 215 Match primers, with a OAL of 3.450"

I got up at 5:30 this morning to go shoot my 3 loads. I also took the cronograph along as well. First load was 64g. It printed a .35" 3 shot group at 100 yards. Velocity was 2940fps. ES was 12, SD was 6. How lucky is that? First powder/bullet combo tried in a rifle and it shoots barely over 1/4". I couldn't be happier. I shot the other 2 loads anyways just to see if they would do better. 65g produced a .95" group with 2 in and 1 out. 65.5g produced a .46" group @2960fps. There is nothing done to this rifle as of yet except some good handloads. The trigger is about 6lbs, and it hasn't been bedded or floated. I think shes a keeper. I'll get pics when I get home. Thanks for the help guys!

Heres a picture of the rifle, topped with a Leupold MK4, 4.5-14x50 LR/T, with Leupolds permanent weaver style base/rings. Not a bad looking rifle! Shoots even better!
24oowom.jpg

24op00i.jpg

And here is the 3 loads that I shot this morning. 64g is on the bottom, 65g middle, 65.5g top. Not to shabby for a totally stock rifle. Heavy trigger and not even bedded or floated. I dont think I really need to do much more testing. I loaded up 20 rounds at 64g. I plan to zero at 100 yards this time, then check the drops out to 800. I need to get the trigger down to 2lbs and go hunting!

Heres a picture of the rifle, topped with a Leupold MK4, 4.5-14x50 LR/T, with Leupolds permanent weaver style base/rings. Not a bad looking rifle! Shoots even better!
24oowom.jpg

24op00i.jpg

And here is the 3 loads that I shot this morning. 64g is on the bottom, 65g middle, 65.5g top. Not to shabby for a totally stock rifle. Heavy trigger and not even bedded or floated. I dont think I really need to do much more testing. I loaded up 20 rounds at 64g. I plan to zero at 100 yards this time, then check the drops out to 800. I need to get the trigger down to 2lbs and go hunting!

Remingtonman,

I have 28" bbls on both rifles.
The load for the 168s is 64.5 grns of RL19 lit by a Fed 215m. It is just insanely accurate.

The load for the 180s is 63 grns of RL22 lit by a Fed 215m
It shoots equally as well.

From the looks of things you are definatly on the right path!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Isaac

Thanks for the load data. I'll save it and put it away for future references. Well last night I went out and did a little drop testing. I zeroed my 7 mag with 168g vld's at 100 yards. USually I zero my rifles at 200, but since I dont have my good range, 100 yards will always work. First 2 shots at 100 were about 1 inch high and 1 inch left. Made a reverse adjustment, next shot hit dead center bullseye. I only have a box, so I was only shooting 2 shots to check drops. My first drop test was to be 400 yards. I put up my big posterboard and drew a 10" square. I made my clicks and shot twice. I could see through the MK4 that they were pretty close together. I drove to the target and it was a 1 3/4" group for 2 shots. They were printing about 2 inches low, and 3 inches to the left. I actually did not put 1 click on because its slighty downhill and I figured it might shoot a tad high. I also felt a slight breeze that was going to the right, so I put 2 clicks on to the left, obviously those clicks to the left were not needed. I corrected and wrote down the correct information, then proceeded to shoot my 8" gong at 400yards. Bad idea, put a whole straight through it. Next drop test I had set up was a 10" plate at 700 yards. I did the correct dial up, and held off for the wind as it was not blowing at all where the target was. I fired once and heard the resounding thud. I wanted to shoot another shot to make sure it wasn't a fluke or something. So after letting the barrel cool in front of the AC I shot my last shot and it landed 3.5" away from the 1st. The 2 shots at 700 were 3.5" and was only 1 inch low and 2 inches left from dead center of the gong. Oh yah, those 168g vld's went through the steel at 700 as well. I think I need to find some tougher steel. I still need to get my trigger worked on, then I'm in business. My drop card is pretty spot on to 700 yards so far, and it looks like my load is holding .5 MOA at longer ranges. Im pretty happy with it.

VLD stands for Very Low Drag. That means the bullet is built with the highest possible Ballistic Coefficient thats possible. This is what you want when your shooting longer ranges. The higher the BC, the more it helps you out. This particular bullet has a BC of around .640 which is not to shabby. Berger makes these particular "VLD" bullets, but there are many other target bullets that have the same profile or close to it such as the Hornady A-MAX, Wildcat ULD RBBT's, Lapua Scenars, Cauteruchio's to name a few. These all have higher then normal BC's for longer range shooting.

Heres my gun and load for the 7mm Rem Mag. 700 action, H&S stock, 28" Shilen heavy varmint barrel, factory trigger at 3lbs. Near mnf 20MOA base and rings, Leupold 8.5-25x50. I shoot 168gr VDL, Federal 215gm primers, Nosler brass, 63.8gr H4831, put bullet on Lans at 2.724 OAL to Ogive of bullet. Shoots bullet holes at 200 yards and 3000fps

Thank you for telling me what it meant. What are some makers of VLD bullets that aren't really expensive. I'm getting started reloading soon and need some good bullets for deer. I've been suggested accu-bonds, BST's, TSX's and the other usual bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.