7mm Rem Mag

Ive already priced a sendero brand new at a shop around here for $1100 so that was pretty much the nail in the coffin as far as what action to go with. I appreciate the guys that are opening my eyes to having a custom built for around $1800 but thats $600-$800 more than the price ive found the sendero for. 600-800 could easily turn in to $1000 as most of the figures stated were merely ballpark (with all due repsect of course). Back to the action controversy, to be honest (and this is just my experience) i havent heard a whole lot of bad things about a Remmy 700. As a kid, the only two rifles i ever remember were the 700 and the old model 94. Thats not saying that the 700's dont have problems but in my experience, ive seen more 700's leaning up againts trees in deer camps than any other rifle...Thats not saying the 700 action is or isnt a good platform for a LR rifle but its a very popular platform for a reason i would venture to say?

Ya know, the thing is (and I'm a Rem700 fan as well) with claims that the Rem 700 is crap is that there probably are a fair number of stinkers out there given there are bazillions of 'em made.

However, there are exponentially more bug-hole shootin' 700's than the pattern-variety and that's never been a question.

It really comes back to the caliber selection and the specific $-based out-of-the-box accuracy Southpa wants to jump at (seem's the the Sendero is getting the nod).

So, since a Sendero is gonna make it home, which 7mm flavor is it gonna be? :D

I stil say 7mm Mag, then have it rechambered to 7mmSTW for ~$150... Either way he goes, I can give him some nice loads for Mag or STW.

Southpa,

$1100 is a much more reasonable price for a Sendero. I looked on gunbroker to see what they were going for there and when I saw $1650 I thought I would mention the custom option.

On the quality of Rem actions, some members unfortunately take liberty to twist words. The 700 isn't a "bad" action. I think and said it is an OK action.

Currently I have rifles in several actions and "I" rank them in the following order.

M70 CRF
Howa/Vanguard
Sako 85
Rem 700
Ruger M77 Tang Safety CRF

I have specific reasons for the rankings and a lot of it is based on what's "under the hood"

If you pick a 7mm or 300 RUM you will be looking at a rebarrel in about 1000 rounds or so. If a 300 WM, maybe 1500 rounds or so. When that happens, you will likely get a custom barrel and have your action trued up, etc. Many people who go this route upgrade the components of their 700 which is exactly what I have done. The basic components of the 700 action are marginally acceptable. One of the first things a lot of 700 owners do right off the bat is upgrade the trigger. I took the time to tune mine myself and they work very nicely down to 2.5 lbs. But they are a PITA to tune and work with.

Although you may get by with the stock components, there are good reasons to replace and upgrade them and not just because you want a fancier fishing lure. If you talk to some reputable experienced smiths, which I have, you will understand this. Do some searching on these forums on building on 700's and you will see what I'm talking about.

All that said, I will never buy another Remington. There have been numerous issues over the years with Remmy's. I haven't had any, but others have.

I am currently doing a 300 RUM build on a 700 action and when it's done it will be a fine rifle. However, when it's done the only original part of it will be the receiver, and that drives the cost up considerably.

Just some things consider.

The 7mag is gonna make the cut but that doesnt mean i havent fully ruled out rechambering to STW... haha. Ill get it in my hands and see what the little voice (the inner child in the candy store all by himself) has to say! What i have learned is that your "choice" in LR catridge/rifle is a classic case of chevy/ford/dodge...can either brand tow a 16,000 lb trailor across the united states and back? Sure! Duramax paired with an allison is hard to beat but who can rule out 7.3 powerstroke and nobody can/should say a cummins cant do it! Each has strengths and weaknesses but if you make the neccesary modifications and know the limits of either set-up than ultimately you are gonna make it work for YOU! Thanks to all for the advice and experiences shared on this thread! I hope i havent opened another can of worms with the chevy/ford/dodge comment as im sure there are other forums that can address that statement....:D

Anyways, updates are to come and optics will be the next thread to address from me, just as a warning. BTW if i havent mentioned it, i respect all the thoughts and opinions expressed here and i dont view them as a "****ing contest" but merely a passion you all have for what you you do!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.