7mm Rem. Mag. vs. 7mm Weatherby

Jumpalot

What are the real world differences between the two? I'd like info shooting 160 Accubonds and 168 and 180 Bergers. I thought they were pretty close in performance but I think I read that the Weatherby has about 5 grains more capacity.

According to the numbers in hornady's book the weatherby does have more powder capacity, and about 200 fps. but I am not sure what real world numbers are for the weatherby Vs. the remington.

Per Federal's specs on their factory ammo, 200 FPS in favor of the Weatherby, 400 ft-lb in favor of the Weatherby, using the same bullet:

Wow!! 200 fps??? That put's the Weatherby in the 7mm STW class doesn't it?? I didn't think there was that much difference.

I doubt that there is for the reloader. I'll wait until some reloaders sound in before I conclude the Weathery gets 200fps over the Rem Mag.

It seems that factory reloading specs are 50,000 psi for the 7 RM but 63,000 for the 7 Weatherby,WSM and SAUM. I have been reloading my 7 RM to the higher pressures and velocities for years with no problems and great brass life.

So, that mist I see is your 200 fps advantage evaporating. :D

Part of the supposed Weatherby advantage could also be the freebore built into many Weatherbys. The only purpose of extra freebore from what I can tell is to allow more powder and velocity. But it is frequently pointed too as a potential accuracy problem.

I've considered the freebore issue. I also thought that I saw the 7mm Remington was loaded to lower pressures. I'm having Kirby build me a 7mm but I hadn't fully decided on which one yet. This one is going to be a light weight pack rifle so I really didn't want to step up to the 7 RUM. I just priced 7mm Dakota Brass and don't really want to go that route either. I'd already pretty much settled on the 7 RM but thought if the 7mm Weatherby offered a lot more, I would consider it.

I have shot many 7mm wby's for 35 years. They are faster than the 7mm rem mag but not 200 fps. Closer to 100. Freebore rifles are very accurate. I have several wby's that will shoot 1-2" groups at 400 yards. If you are building one I would do the 7mm stw. Wby brass now is just way to expensive. I think the 7mm wsm, 280 AI, 7mm jrs or 7mm gibbs are better choices near the 7mm rem mag velocity range if that is the class you are looking for. If you want a magnum the stw is the one.

I have shot many 7mm wby's for 35 years. They are faster than the 7mm rem mag but not 200 fps. Closer to 100. Freebore rifles are very accurate. I have several wby's that will shoot 1-2" groups at 400 yards. If you are building one I would do the 7mm stw. Wby brass now is just way to expensive. I think the 7mm wsm, 280 AI, 7mm jrs or 7mm gibbs are better choices near the 7mm rem mag velocity range if that is the class you are looking for. If you want a magnum the stw is the one.

This is what I was inclined to say, but I didn't have the experience reloading with the 7mm Weatherby Mag. The 100 fps advantage of the Wthby over the Rem Mag sounds closer to reality. I've got two 7mm Rem Mags and two 280 RCBS Improved - 30 degree shoulders. My Rem Mag gets ~125fps additional velocity with the same 168 Berger VLD bullets. I'd get the Rem Mag before I'd get the Weatherby. If I demanded more MV than the Rem Mag provided, I'd get the STW too - simply based on LTLR's recommendation. He's shot'em all.

Last edited:
I've had both, I believe the Weatherby stats are based on a 26 in BBL and the Rem is on a 24 in BBl. Other than cost there was no real difference in the field.

I've had experience with both too. In my tests, the Weatherby/Norma case has a capacity of between 2 and 4.5 grains more powder than the Remington. This is measuring the volume of fired cases filled to the top of the case mouth. The capacity of the 7mm Rem Mag varies from brand of case. Certainly different rifles or chambers will cause a slight variation in the measured capacity of a fired case.

I agree with those who are skeptical of the 200 fps advantage. In barrels of the same length with maximum loads they are really very similar. The STW is a step above either.

Very good post.

Weatherby brass is just way too expensive to justify.

The 7mmSTW case is also far superior as it about equals the 300 Weatherby in case capacity.

Well it looks like the 7RM will fill the bill. If I need to reach further, I have my Edge. This will be my 600-800 yd. rifle and it will be light. Thanks for all the input.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts