7mm Rem Mag vs. 7mm-300?

One Question guys

I have been comparing 4D reamer specs between 300wm and 7mm 300wm. Looks like the same chamber length with same shoulder angle. That makes the neck of the 7wm about .238" long about .030 shorter than the 300wm.
I feel the 300s neck is too short as it is.

Do you guys mind the extra short neck on the 7wm?

I hear where a lot of shooters prefer a longer neck. Personally I have not had one issue from a shorter neck with either the 300 win, 7 RM or 7mm-300 win. Also it is a miner thing with probably no help, but since I knew there was going to be a little extra brass from necking down I did increase my neck length on my 7-300 reamer by .040". May not do a thing but gives brass a place to flow to. I have not had the donut issue with any 7-300 either. Some think the donut problem may be related to longer necked cases. I have no proof either way on that.

Jeff

Sometimes i think having more neck will give more bullet support (guide) as the throat wears longer. But this kind of thing may only really matter in match or true neck turn chambers not sloppy hunting chambers.

Sometimes i think having more neck will give more bullet support (guide) as the throat wears longer. But this kind of thing may only really matter in match or true neck turn chambers not sloppy hunting chambers.

I would rather make the throat, between case neck and bore, minimum spec for this. And I do.

Jeff

I haven't noticed a bit of difference in accuracy in cartridges with differing neck length.
I am not really a fan of really long necks like a '06 with mid weight bullets, as I like to seat my bullets so the tail of the bullet just passes through the neck/ shoulder juncture. I usually save the real heavies in a certain caliber for the biggest rifle I have in the caliber so that comes into play occasionally.
Some guys talk about flame vortexes coming into play and a longer neck sometimes being able to shield the bore to a point. I'm pretty sure the powder's still burning around 4,000 f give or take a bit after the extra tenth inch or less of case neck.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.