7mm Rem Mag vs 6.5 Prc

MontanaOutdoorsman406

I'm thinking about purchasing one of these calibers for deer/elk at a max of about 500 yards and wanted to know what people thought about the merits of each caliber and obviously 7mm has alot more factory options and can load a heavier bullet but is the extra recoil worth it at the end of the day when it comes to performance on game and before peoe say anything about a 300 i have had one and cant shoot one as consistently as I'd like do to recoil.

If your worried about the recoil the 6.5 prc would be my pick if the 2. don't over look the plain Jane 270, 280, or 280ai with a tad more versatility for bullet weights. Best wishes
Yeah i have actually owned a couple 270's over the years and do like them lots of factory options there as well i just thought the prc might be the way to go since it is in a short action and is very close to 270 in ballistics but with better higher bc bullets.

Go for it, I've got a few 270 myself and I'm waiting on tikkas 6.5 prc when it comes out personally!
I watched a few tikka presentations and they where saying summer months for the prc release as well i really like the feel of tikka actions and ever tikka I have shot is very accurate im thinking of getting their wildlands rifle with there new medium weight barrel with muzzle brake looks like an excellent rifle for the money.

I have both 7mm Mag and 6.5PRC rifles. I'd rather shoot the PRC all day long rather than the 7mm. The recoil is much less than what you'd think. You can buy the 6.5 in 156gr bullet now but the 143gr does the job.
I kinda figured the recoil is definitely more stout in the 7 mag and on game is there really going to be a massive difference with good shot placement

As others have stated, if recoil is a concern, you have nothing to fear going with the 6.5 PRC. The caliber has proven itself over time. If you want to shoot heavy for caliber bullets, the recoil of a 7 RM can be significant. While I believe the ammo selection and availability of 7 RM is better, few factory rifles have the twist to stabilize the truly heavy 7mm bullets. Not so much the case for the PRC.

I kinda figured the recoil is definitely more stout in the 7 mag and on game is there really going to be a massive difference with good shot placement

At 500 yards, the game will NOT know the difference but bullet choice (type, weight, etc., I like heavy bullets) for me should be a consideration.

I do not have a Tikka but I have a SAKO M995 in .300 WM. They are very good actions. Tikka has a very strong following and still growing. Some of the complaints (?) I have heard in the factory offering is the barrel twist (my SAKO has a 1:11") and short magazine COAL.

Either one will serve your intended purpose. It boils down to personal preference. I am not recoil-sensitive but all my hunting rifles sport a muzzle brake/suppressor, including my 6.5 CM. An effective muzzle brake serves two purposes, reduction in felt recoil and reduction in muzzle rise. I have been using muzzle brakes since 2003. The cost to thread a muzzle is $100 and muzzle brakes costs from ~$37 and up.

I would also take a hard look at the 280AI. A couple years ago, I was in the market for a new elk gun. Had it narrowed down to the 6.5 PRC and the 280AI. I ended up going PRC to save a little weight(short action vs long action) with the rifle I wanted, but I think I would have been equally happy with the 280AI. In fact as soon as Barrett comes out with a fieldcraft in 280AI that will be my next rifle.

At 500 yards, the game will NOT know the difference but bullet choice (type, weight, etc., I like heavy bullets) for me should be a consideration.

I do not have a Tikka but I have a SAKO M995 in .300 WM. They are very good actions. Tikka has a very strong following and still growing. Some of the complaints (?) I have heard in the factory offering is the barrel twist (my SAKO has a 1:11") and short magazine COAL.

Either one will serve your intended purpose. It boils down to personal preference. I am not recoil-sensitive but all my hunting rifles sport a muzzle brake/suppressor, including my 6.5 CM. An effective muzzle brake serves two purposes, reduction in felt recoil and reduction in muzzle rise. I have been using muzzle brakes since 2003. The cost to thread a muzzle is $100 and muzzle brakes costs from ~$37 and up.

I'm with you FEENIX! Almost everything I shoot 6.5 cal and over has a muzzle brake on it for the last 20+ years after 2nd shoulder surgery(4 now along with 3 bicep repairs)! Much more pleasant to shoot whether you're recoil sensitive or not.....recoil doesn't have to be an issue! Put a brake on it and shoot whatever best fits the purpose and don't worry about recoil.

I'm with you FEENIX! Almost everything I shoot 6.5 cal and over has a muzzle brake on it for the last 20+ years after 2nd shoulder surgery(4 now along with 3 bicep repairs)! Much more pleasant to shoot whether you're recoil sensitive or not.....recoil doesn't have to be an issue! Put a brake on it and shoot whatever best fits the purpose and don't worry about recoil.

+1!

I can never understand the "They are louder" concept.

Braked or not, rifles are LOUD and you need ear protection either way

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.