7MM Rem Mag vs 6.5 CM at 600 yards on cow elk

Figured I'd add this...as I mentioned earlier this was 143ELDX out of my 6.5 Creed at 550 yards. I practiced out to 700 all summer and into fall. I walked a card board box out from 100 to 700, stopping every fifty yards and put three rounds into the target at each stop. I wanted a no bs, real dope sheet. I made this shot a first light, no wind, and it was around 30F at 4000ft off my deck, on bags. And yes I'm pretty proud of this.-WW
That's the spot!

We all hate to wound and lose an animal in the woods! Bubbly blood means a lung hit, so it probably died later. I've heard of single lung hit elk running a mile or more! Usually downhill to a water source! I often hunt with a 6.5CM myself, using my loads: 147ELD at 2970fps (RL26), but I limit all shots to no more than 500yds, and no shots unless animal is stationary (motionless). A desperate hunter makes mistakes! Have patience! We owe the animals that!

I have benched my 6.5CM for anything larger than a coyote at this point. I have tried the 143 ELD-x and 156 Berger EOLs and have seen nothing but inconsistent results. I have lost 4 whitetails all within 200 yards off this caliber within the last 2 years. Its great at killing paper, I am sure there is a bullet out there that it will perform well with, but I am done looking for it. I have many other calibers to use, but not being confident in my equipment to do the job just does not cut it when trying to keep shots ethical and filling the freezer.

To the OP, I don't blame you for trying it. There is so much back and forth on this round....lots of success and a lot of the failures I am sure can be placed on the shooter and not the round. I am not trying to hate on the 6.5 CM, I have two and the are tach drivers and fun to shot. My experience with its hunting reliability has been less than satisfactory though.

@RebelGuard I commend you for the honesty! Regardless of the dumpster fire this thread will turn into, you have developed valuable data for yourself! I will say we have had great success with 6.5 calibers 140-156 class bullets from 2700-3000 FPS on elk all the way out to 700 yards.

The common denominator in all of our success? Great bullet placement (regardless of bullet construction). All of our less then favorable experiences came from marginal hits. Those results happen with almost any caliber, so its a mute point - these kinds of threads always stir up drama, in the end - I wouldn't take too much to heart from the feedback you get off this thread!

I didn't take the time to read all the comments but I am confused at the choice to quarter the first elk before attempting to locate the second one. In my head she could have been a few hundred yards away laying down, or limping up the next hillside needing a finishing shot. I think I would have had my buddy start working on the cow by himself while I went to check for the other one.

I have benched my 6.5CM for anything larger than a coyote at this point. I have tried the 143 ELD-x and 156 Berger EOLs and have seen nothing but inconsistent results. I have lost 4 whitetails all within 200 yards off this caliber within the last 2 years. Its great at killing paper, I am sure there is a bullet out there that it will perform well with, but I am done looking for it. I have many other calibers to use, but not being confident in my equipment to do the job just does not cut it when trying to keep shots ethical and filling the freezer.

To the OP, I don't blame you for trying it. There is so much back and forth on this round....lots of success and a lot of the failures I am sure can be placed on the shooter and not the round. I am not trying to hate on the 6.5 CM, I have two and the are tach drivers and fun to shot. My experience with its hunting reliability has been less than satisfactory though.
There is nothing wrong with the 6.5 cal you just need the wright bullet with the wright impact velocity the 6.5 cal has a very high SD BC and is acc driven fast enough it is great but the 6.5 Creed is runing out of Steam at 600 yds if your bent on shooting that distance with a 6.5 get a bigger cartridge the cal is fine but still would not be my choice for Elk I built a switch barrel 6.5 prc 300 wsm just for a future Elk hunt the 300 with a Hammer bullet of appropriate weight for maximum distances I might shoot will be my choice I think the op did his best with what he had but was underguned with the 6.5 Creed it does have it's limitations at longer distances bullet choice impact velocity and shot placement three main factors everytime

The hammers, in a Creedmoor will spill all of that extra velocity by 600yds. It would not be my choice.
Well it's more about the lowest FPS that the bullet will function for me. Yes right around 600 depending on what hammer is about where I find the cross between heavies and the hammers. But both are usually slowing to a speed that won't open reliably anyhow.
A 124 hh at 2950fps is one example but a 123 absolute at 3200 should be fine. I have not run those numbers though.
And as stated one must know the limits. If I think I have a 500 plus yard shot I'll always grab my 30 cal mag of some kind just to be sure.

There is nothing wrong with the 6.5 cal you just need the wright bullet with the wright impact velocity the 6.5 cal has a very high SD BC and is acc driven fast enough it is great but the 6.5 Creed is runing out of Steam at 600 yds if your bent on shooting that distance with a 6.5 get a bigger cartridge the cal is fine but still would not be my choice for Elk I built a switch barrel 6.5 prc 300 wsm just for a future Elk hunt the 300 with a Hammer bullet of appropriate weight for maximum distances I might shoot will be my choice I think the op did his best with what he had but was underguned with the 6.5 Creed it does have it's limitations at longer distances bullet choice impact velocity and shot placement three main factors everytime
I never said there is anything wrong with the round. I just have had bad experiences with it. Now every time I use it hunting and something does not drop immediately I doubt myself no matter how solid the shot was or how well I ranged and checked dope. That's neither fun or encouraging as a hunter. I do not mind tracking at all, but when the bullet goes in and leaves a tiny hole, then sheds the jacket and sends shrapnel everywhere you get no blood trail to follow. With components being as difficult as they are to find right now its easier to bench the rifle and go with what has been working for me for the last 20 years vs working up new loads on various different bullets.

Here is the last round I recovered. 156 Berger Elite Hunter @2650 fps out the tube. Its hollow.

Attachments

• 6.5.jpg
    6.5.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 79
I never said there is anything wrong with the round. I just have had bad experiences with it. Now every time I use it hunting and something does not drop immediately I doubt myself no matter how solid the shot was or how well I ranged and checked dope. That's neither fun or encouraging as a hunter. I do not mind tracking at all, but when the bullet goes in and leaves a tiny hole, then sheds the jacket and sends shrapnel everywhere you get no blood trail to follow. With components being as difficult as they are to find right now its easier to bench the rifle and go with what has been working for me for the last 20 years vs working up new loads on various different bullets.

Here is the last round I recovered. 156 Berger Elite Hunter @2650 fps out the tube. Its hollow.
That looks like most Bergers I have recovered, but all have had massive damage internally. I have found that a shot higher in the chest cavity doesn't bleed as much as a shot lower down as well, or at least doesn't start bleeding nearly as quickly as it takes time for the chest to fill with blood (my hypothesis, which could be wrong), like poking a hole near the top of a cup rather than the bottom.

Last edited:
Although it's a sample of only one, my son took a mature mule deer buck at 300 yards with a Speer 140gr Gold Dot from a 6.5cm at 2775 fps at the muzzle. Bullet hit square in the neck and blew through the neck, spine included, and left a silver dollar sized hole on the off side. I was hoping that these bullets would perform and have been a bit nervous to see the outcome. I plan on working up a load in a 6.5x284 during the off season.

@RebelGuard I commend you for the honesty! Regardless of the dumpster fire this thread will turn into, you have developed valuable data for yourself! I will say we have had great success with 6.5 calibers 140-156 class bullets from 2700-3000 FPS on elk all the way out to 700 yards.

The common denominator in all of our success? Great bullet placement (regardless of bullet construction). All of our less then favorable experiences came from marginal hits. Those results happen with almost any caliber, so its a mute point - these kinds of threads always stir up drama, in the end - I wouldn't take too much to heart from the feedback you get off this thread!
I dont understand need to shoot elk with 6.5 at 700y.

This year I have two hunters on reed deer (in Croatia) ,father and soon.
Father have 6.5 need (a lot) more with nosler accubond (dont know what weight and speed)
son have 338 lapua with some eldx or eldm.

Father shoot first at 500ish meters hit elk but ,elk dont show much and go futher ,shoot number 2 at 700ish meter is hit but Idid not see where. Elk was lost.
We search with bloodhound find trail but did not find elk ,it go more than 8 kilometers and then we cant follow it any more.
Father is some competitor shooter and that is his competition rifle.

Son on the other hand is not so good shooter but at 625 meters he shoot elk and shoot in the gut.
Elk clearly show hit and he run away about150 meters and then stop and at 680meters took another pill and go away 50 meter and fall for good.

My first point ,shoot placment is key but with suitable bullet and cartridge for hunt.

Second point is I dont allow any more any 6.5 for game heavier than 50kg.

Third point is more powerfull cartridge with not so good shoot placement will do more than less powerfull cartridge also with not so good shoot placement.

Last edited:
I ran the ballostics for both, using the 143 ELD-x at 2950 and the 7mag at 3100 (middle of Nosler load data) with the 150 GK.

Both were underpowered for elk at 600 yards. I'm not trying to be harsh, but it sounds like a little research and a little more discipline (I.e. not shooting just bc it is the last day of the season and saying "why not". Both are under 1500 ft/lbs at 600 yards.

And yes, OP, the 6.5cr carries more energy due to BC. In other words, the 7mag bullet selection was poor judging by the energy retained at 600, due to the BC being .436. My 280ai has over 500 ft/lbs more energy than the 7mag with a different bullet weight, BC, and velocity.

Side note, I used the GK out of my 280AI on Shooter at 3100 fps, which would give the same results as a 7mag at the same velocity and bullet.
0ED57BAF-FB50-4BB1-AE1E-6E451148E4B5.png
2411CA4D-CF2C-4F60-953F-34DB3E4169E3.png
1F5D303E-FEFA-44E2-9B36-82E268335409.png