7mm rem mag vs 280 AI

Both are good rounds, But the 7mm rem mag has 8 to 10grs
more capacity which would help if you were going to use
heavy bullets (168gr + ).

I used a 7mm rem mag for years to shoot 1000yrd matches
and it performed well using the 168gr SMK's.

There are also much larger 7mm's like the 7 STW and the 7mmRUM.

J E CUSTOM

I have both and the 7mm RM is a higher performance cartridge. About 175-225 fps more velocity with similar weight bullets. No way around that. Of those two options I'd recommend the 7mm RM.

I have a 7mm gibbs which is all you can get out of the '06 case and a 7mm jrs which is all you can get out of a 280 case. With the lighter bullets they will shoot with my 7mm rem mags. But they will not do so with the heavy bullets. Like the other guys mentioned they just can't compete with all that extra slow burning powder you need to push the heavy bullets. Not all that far behind but a 7 rem mag is better with the heavy ones. I don't have the 280 AI so couldn't comment on that one.

Thank you

That is all the help I needed thank you all veary much. I want the faster of the two. I was allready leaning in the direction of the 7mm REM MAG beacuse of the cost of the reloding and the fact that only Nosler makes brass for the 280AI.

The 7mm STW and RUM are just to much money for me to shoot.

Is anyone using the 7mm rem or 280AI for long range hunting? I like the high BC of the 7mm bullets but cant make up my mind as to wich case I want to use for them??? I do not have any experence with eather round

In the same legnth bbl, the 7mmRM is about 150fps faster with lighter bullets, about 100fps faster with heaviers. For dedicated LR shooting, the more velocity, the better IMO. If I were building a LR shooter, I'd be looking at a 7mmRM with a 26" bbl to push 160s at @ 3100fps.

If you're gonna shoot this long range, make sure you get a 1 in 9 twist barrel. You can push the lighter bullets faster, but bullets like the 180 Bergers and 175 SMKs will perform much better for you at distance.

My 7mm RM barrel is 2 inches longer than my 280 Imp. I should have noted that in my difference in velocity estimates, since that would give a barrel length advantage to my 7mm RM over my 280 Imp.

Thanks .280Rem for bringing that bbl length issue up, since it plays a role. The Tikka Lite barrels are 24 3/8 inches long in 7mm RM, the same as their 300 WSMs.

Last edited:
I picked up a Nosler M48 Patriot 280 AI a few months ago... 24in barrel...
I decided to run her with 140s... Specifically the 140 CT.
I feel the lubalox coating DOES make a difference in this pipe... and other 280s I have had.
Im running 57.5 RL17 on the bullet with a 215.... and reaching 3220 avg. I've pushed the 171 Barnes match burner as well... but with I7977, and reached 2850fps... decent accuracy.

Realistically, for what my plans are with this weapon, the 140 is better suited.

I have my 300 H&H and 300 Win Mag if I so choose to do extremely long range work.

I went back and forth between the two for years. Finally decided on a XCRII in 7RM. 8# done in a McMillan Classic. 162 Amax is a square kiss at 3.455 and plenty of room in the magbox to chase the lands if need be.

Aint looking back either.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.