7mm Rem mag twist rate

preventec47

I have a Remington mod 700 from the early 1970s and I have a feeling the 1/9.25 twist rate
was designed for lighter bullets than we have available today. However I dont see that
Remington has changed their twist rate for their current models so how do the heavy VLD type bullets shoot in these barrels ?

This is purely academic for me as a few years I began hand loading the 110gr Barnes for my deer hunting in an attempt to reduce recoil due to shoulder surgery.

Depending on your elevation, you might can stabilize the Berger 180 Hybrids. You would be able to shoot the Berger 175 Elite Hunters without issue.

I live at 6600 ft elevation and hunt from there up to 10,000+ ft, so we have some wiggle room, but we load 180 Bergers in my cousins 7mm mag with 9.25 twist with no issue. At any elevation the 168 bergers will do fine, and can reach well over 3000 fps depending on powder, making a very lethal wind bucking long range set up. If I was at sea level however, I dont know if I would go much over a 168. Depending on what a stability calculator says, a 175 may be possible as mud stated. Just remember, if you want to calculate true stability for a tipped bullet such as an eld, you need to use the jbm ballistics calculator that takes into accout the plastic tip. It makes a difference for sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.