7mm rem mag. question

soundwaves

hi mates.
l am a hunter who lives in turkey and likes hunting İBEX.

the only ammo we can get here for the 7mm rem mag is:
150 grain federal classic or the 175 grain pmc. the shots we take are from 200 to 400 meters so my question to you is which of these ammo would you tend to use? by the way ibex is a strong animal which dont die easyly if not hit in the vitals.

by the way does any one know the maximum point blank range for the 175 grain 7mm rem mag how many inches high at a hundred yards?

thanks too all the hunters out there!

hi mates.
l am a hunter who lives in turkey and likes hunting İBEX.

the only ammo we can get here for the 7mm rem mag is:
150 grain federal classic or the 175 grain pmc. the shots we take are from 200 to 400 meters so my question to you is which of these ammo would you tend to use? by the way ibex is a strong animal which dont die easyly if not hit in the vitals.

by the way does any one know the maximum point blank range for the 175 grain 7mm rem mag how many inches high at a hundred yards?

thanks too all the hunters out there!

Welcome to LRH! For shooting those distances I would lean toward the 175's. The 150's would work, but because of the terrain, I am guessing wind could be a real problem. The heavier bullet will allow for better penetration and buck the wind better.

As far as your Max PB range, that is determined by your velocity. Without knowing the velocity and BC of your bullet, that is a hard figure to come up with. I could guess, but it probably wouldn't be right. The best I can figure is the following= Maximum PBR: 345 yd Maximum PBR Zero: 292 yd

I got this info comparing other manufacturers against one another. The avg. velocity is around 2850fps and the bullet is a flat base pointed soft point 175grn Speer. There ballistic coefficients were all about .465 to .462 so those are the numbers I crunched with JBM Calculations. I used an elevation of 3000 ft. but if you go higher, to say 5000 or 8000 ft. above see level that will get longer. At 8000ft your PBR changes to 351yrds max. and 297 zero range. The best thing you could do is go out and shoot the distances that you are planning on hunting and develop your own dope for elevations you might be hunting.

Hope this helps,
Tank

Last edited:
thanks mate. that helps me alot. l have been using 150 grains but thay didnt seem to be packing anough punch when thay conect with soft tissue. so l hope the woond chanels will be beter with 175 grains.

thanks mate. that helps me alot. l have been using 150 grains but thay didnt seem to be packing anough punch when thay conect with soft tissue. so l hope the woond chanels will be beter with 175 grains.

The 175's should do just fine, but if you can handload it will offer better ballistics and bullets that will work a whole lot better. You may want to order some premium ammo from Midwayusa. com.

Black Hills Gold Ammunition 7mm Remington Magnum 162 Grain Hornady A-Max Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition 7mm Remington Magnum 160 Grain Nosler AccuBond Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Federal Premium Vital-Shok Ammunition 7mm Remington Magnum 160 Grain Barnes Triple-Shock X Bullet Hollow Point Lead-Free Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Hornady SUPERFORMANCE Ammunition 7mm Remington Magnum 154 Grain SST Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Hornady SUPERFORMANCE Ammunition 7mm Remington Magnum 162 Grain SST Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

HSM Trophy Gold Ammunition 7mm Remington Magnum 168 Grain Berger Hunting VLD Hollow Point Boat Tail Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

Nosler Custom Ammunition 7mm Remington Magnum 160 Grain AccuBond Spitzer Box of 20 - MidwayUSA

The Black Hills and the HSM would be my top picks. You might be able to find the HSM through another supplier. Now bear in mind, some of this stuff is out of stock or not available but will be. I would wait if you can and look into some of the ones I have listed. You will be much better off than using the PSP's that you have access too. They just offer much better bullets, ballistics and performance.

Tank

Hello Soundwaves and welcome. It's very difficult to give you much info without knowing exactly what bullets you're using and at what velocities.

I did a search on PMC ammo and the only rifle ammo I saw was the bronze line which is a full metal jacket. I would avoid using FMJ's on most game. For shooting up to 400 meters with the 7mm RM the lighter to mid range bullets will give you flatter trajectory and a greater PBR than the heavier bullets. Most factory bullets wieghing 175 gr, i.e., Nosler partitions, will have a very low BC and bleed off velocity and energy very quickly. That is also the case with the Fed classic 150 gr SP's which have a fairly blunt nose. I would however, choose the 150 SP over the 175 FMJ (if it is an FMJ) for Ibex and such. I think the best way for you to determine your PBR is to shoot 200, 300 and 400 meters and determine your drops unless you can come up with BC's and velocities.

Not much help, but that's the way I see it.

Cheers,

Mark

Last edited:
well l will be using the 175 grains from now on.
it is kind a impossible to get those ammo you listed here cause the goverment is fucked up here. the goverment eaven thinks the 300 wm has a .284 bullet hahahaha how stupid is that?
so you cant expect them to have good amo can you?:)

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.