7mm rem mag powders

steeles1

hi guys,starting to stretch my 7mm out and wondered is there one powder better for accuracy .i'm using adi ar2213sc with 140gn bt sierras for 1/2moa. going to 168vld bergers and wondering is any thing better. i'm in australia so possibly some aren't available and i know our powders have different names/numbers but i'll try to convert them

RL 22 and 25
Hodgdon H4831, H1000, Retumbo,869
Ramshot Magnum

RL powders are the most temp sensitive Hodgdon powders are more temp stable (actually pretty dang temp stable), from the little bit I've heard Magnum is showing temp stability equal to Hodgdon extreme powders

I love my Alliant powders, and RL-22 has given great results in my 7mm with the 168 Berger. As Joe said, temp stablity is more of an issue with them though, but it is something i will live with for now.

I know many, many guys that swear by H-1000, as well as one of my most trusted reloading friends that can give another vote for Retumbo.

Honestly i think it is mostly what your rifle likes most out of them, i don't think there is one that is really "bad" or "best" for your application either. Each have their own set of perameters that can help you narrow it down, but the rifle is the final judge.

Whenever Ive had a new 7mag to do load developement on the first powder i go for is 4831sc. You might find something better for accuracy if you try everything on the shelf and you might squeeze another 50 fps out of a differnt powder but if 4831 doesnt shoot well chances are the gun never will

IMR-4350 is the fastest and most accurate out of my gun. H-1000 is about 200fps slower. IMR-7828 and RL-22 is about in the middle. This is with 150g NP's.

I'm using 73gr of Retumbo with Fed magnum match primers. 2980 fps with .361 outside to outside at 200 yards. This is a temp stable powder, I don't know if you can get it over there but it sure works for me.

I developed a load for an "out of the box" savage model 10 this summer. It's smacking the gong everytime at 1000 yrds.
!60 gr accubond, 68.5 gr. of H-1000, 2960 fps, .30" grouping @ 200 yrds.

I use AR2213SC with 160gr bullets with excellent results.
When used with 160gr bullets I have found it to give good speed (3100+fps in 26" barrel) and more consistent velocity than with 140gr bullets, sometimes with as little as 7 fps variation over several shots.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.