7mm rem mag powder recommendations

6.5x300 WBY

Like the tital said I have not reloaded for rifle for a good long time. But now with my sendero 7mm rem mag I went and looked through my cabinet for powders and have these on hand.

IMR 7828

IMR 4831

Norma MRP

Reloader 25

these were good back in the day when I reloaded for the 7mm rem mag. Now with all the new powders that are available what are the best with velocities and temperature stability?

I will be shooting both the 168 bergers vlds and 150 gr Sirocco's.

thanks

Brian

Last edited:
I don't know why I had trouble with finding data on here but I did find it. Sorry for the wasted post.

I just over looked the info in my search. Just missed it.

Thanks

Brian

I have built (3) 7mmRM rifles and have also got (3) factory 7mmRM rifles.
I have shot shot (6) mule deer and (2) antelope with (3) of the rifles.

I have settled on 140 gr Nosler Ballistic tip moly, 70 gr H4350, 3.34", 3400 fps for all of the rifles.

I have given up on:
120 gr Nos Bal Tip.... ok
150 gr Nos Bal tip......ok
162 gr SST .......ok
180 gr VLD hunting..... poor stopping power
175 gr HNDY spire.....poor accuracy
140 gr VLD hunting....poor stopping power
160 gr Barnes triple shock.... Copper fouling
Re22.... temp sensitive
H4831sc.... ok
Re17.... temp sensitive

I have built (3) 7mmRM rifles and have also got (3) factory 7mmRM rifles.
I have shot shot (6) mule deer and (2) antelope with (3) of the rifles.

I have settled on 140 gr Nosler Ballistic tip moly, 70 gr H4350, 3.34", 3400 fps for all of the rifles.

I have given up on:
120 gr Nos Bal Tip.... ok
150 gr Nos Bal tip......ok
162 gr SST .......ok
180 gr VLD hunting..... poor stopping power
175 gr HNDY spire.....poor accuracy
140 gr VLD hunting....poor stopping power
160 gr Barnes triple shock.... Copper fouling
Re22.... temp sensitive
H4831sc.... ok
Re17.... temp sensitive

Clark, WOW thanks for all that info!!gun) Now when you say OK for some of your items on your list. Do you mean that they were JUST OK and not kind of great or that they did well kind of OK????lightbulb Just wondering what kind of OK you were talking about.

Can you explain your reason you stated that the 140 and the 180 vld has bad stopping power? Reason is that I have just recently received the 168 vld's hunting version.

Also what is your thoughts on the 140gr Barns TTS for good performance. I think pushing this bullet at 3300 for a light bullet should be a great combo. Just your thoughts.

Thank you for your time and efforts for your reply. Very helpful. Thank you Sir!!

Brian

2 one shoot kills on bull elk at 550+yards with 168vlds pretty much tells me the "stopping power" of the vlds are more than adequate.

I shot an 8 foot grizzly bear in the chest at 200 yards last year that took his dirt nap from the 180 VLD. Plus, two other black bears met their demise from the same loads. No problems with the 180 here.

I shot a couple of does with vlds at close range that I had to shoot many times. The holes were just pencil holes.

I must have loaded too hot, stood too close, and shot them in the wrong spot. I aim for the lungs.

I know a lot of other guys are doing ok with VLDs.
No complaints about the group size with VLD, they looked good on the targets.

I had over 100,000 gun forum posts before there was a www for gun forums.
I have seen it all, and I know that terminal ballistics boils down to a tiny set of anecdotes with out of control variables.

I think that there was something else going on with penciling through than too high MV. The VLDs just don't work that way, maybe damage meplate or shooting target vlds with thicker jacket.

With the Scirrocos, I shoot RL 22. For 24" barrels it seems 67 grains works well. With the 26" barrels, some take up to 68 grains. Just depends on the gun. I shoot the hotter load in my gun and get 3/4" groups at 3250. I've killed probably around a dozen elk with this load.

With the Scirrocos, I shoot RL 22. For 24" barrels it seems 67 grains works well. With the 26" barrels, some take up to 68 grains. Just depends on the gun. I shoot the hotter load in my gun and get 3/4" groups at 3250. I've killed probably around a dozen elk with this load.

thanks Marble. I am really looking forward to loading these up and see what I can do with them. 3250 fps sounds about perfect.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts