7MM Rem Mag - hardly a sniper rifle!

I was a Ranger Sniper with JSOC when you were still crapping in your diapers boy. I was one of a handful advocating for an Army Sniper School as well and helped with the first three classes to graduate from it.

I know exactly why the 7mm Rem didn't become the go to sniper round for the US and other Services because I was one of those advocating for it's use in same as early as 1981 and it was explained to me in great detail by those that made the decisions why were were sticking with what we had.

Well good for you. Don't let me crowd you up there on your self imposed internet hero pedestal. Not much of a pedigree, but I suppose it will impress some folks on here. As for me, that statement made me really tired. I'm bored with this thread now and going to bed. Goonight fellas...

Wow, the lack of respect for our vets these days is insane... I guess some people have just never had loved ones or family deploy into a hot zone for a year to live in a crappily sealed metal building with a bunch of other dudes, constantly under fire, daily mortar strikes, and suicide bombing attempts, danger literally around every corner, and limited communication back home...All in the name of our country, not to mention those who gave the ultimate sacrifice, so you can have the freedom and rights to talk smack about them, and voice your own opinion, no matter how skewed and misguided it is.

That's what's wrong with this country... Learn and show some respect, and you might get some back in return.

Wow, the lack of respect for our vets these days is insane... I guess some people have just never had loved ones or family deploy into a hot zone for a year to live in a crappily sealed metal building with a bunch of other dudes and no alcohol or fun, constantly under fire, daily morter strikes, and suicide bombing attempts, and limited communication back home...All in the name of our country so you can have the freedom and rights to talk smack about them, and voice your own opinion, no matter how misguided it is.

That's what's wrong with this country... Learn and show some respect, and you might get some back in return.
I've been insulted by much better than he, and it never bothered me much. I'm not on the internet to be a tough guy, I'm here to help those who want to learn and have fun learning from guys who actually do have some credentials and experience.

I've been insulted by much better than he, and it never bothered me much. I'm not on the internet to be a tough guy, I'm here to help those who want to learn and have fun learning from guys who actually do have some credentials and experience.

I know bud, but being that it's only been a year since my brother got back from Khandahar, it still really ****es me off when folks talk smack about vets.

Alright. Now you guys are getting a little out of hand. I am a Vet myself with my own decorations and accomplishments while serving. So let's cut the crap OK? I've walked my own miles in those shoes so let's just get that straight. So now I guess you're both guilty of disrespecting a Vet as well and you didn't even know it because you're too busy talking and assuming you know who people are or what they have done.

I respect the service of every veteran. I just don't care for those who try to brag about it in a manner to discredit or put down other people in an attempt to elevate one's self. Especially while making rude remarks about diapers and what not. I would never dream of disrespecting my time in service by referencing it in that manner. No good in my book.

But that still doesn't mean I don't respect your service wildrose. So thank you.

Now that I got your attention! :):D:rolleyes::cool:

I didn't want to hijack http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/7mm-remington-mag-build-help-135289/index2.html

Originally Posted by boltactiondave284 View Post
For long range you those are 2 good calibers but I would go with the 7mm I always thought the 300 could outshoot a 7 until I had the honor of meeting a Military Sniper who took me under his wing and showed me the difference . He has both rifles also but his go to Rifle is that 7mm .

I've always been curious as to why the 7MM Rem Mag hardly made it in the List of sniper rifles - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia -despite all its accolades. Hopefully, it'll change but perhaps your friend (or others with similar real world/hands on experience) can shed some light. lightbulb

NOTE: I know there are lots of members that are passionate about the 7MM Rem Mag and rightfully so, but this is NOT about that!

I understand the list is inconclusive and perhaps inaccurate but just use it as a quick reference for a comparative purpose only.

Sorry if this thread has been misconstrued but it is NOT about 7MM Rem Mag vs XXX, but rather why it hardly made it to the list above.

This came about because a friend in the 1990s asked me the same question and I didn't have an answer then or now. My friend has been in procurement and acquisition (40+ years until he retired in 2008 IIRC) of special weapons and tactics program throughout DoD which included small arms. He said, he had seen many request for proposals for sniper rifles at varying chamberings but never the 7MM Rem Mag.

Anyways, with all due respects to all that contributed to the thread, I was soliciting primarily "real world/hands on experience" as noted above and I'm glad WR chimed in.

:D Now that we got that out of the way, let's move on positively. :D

WR, if I haven't said it before, thanks for your service to our great nation. BTW, I've always have a soft heart for the SOC world :), esp. now that my son flies with the AFSOC unit at Hurburt Field and currently deployed.

Thank you all!

I'm not going to pretend to know anything but while reading this thread I kept wandering when someone was going to say something about the fact that they are close but that the 300 win mag is bigger diameter giving it more knock down power. Like I said maybe I'm missing something but that's why I always thought the 300 was better. I agree they are close ballistically but in my opinion when it two calibers are that close for me it comes down to knock down power. And I know I am about to get hammered with they both have plenty of that but I'd rather have to much. That being said, I own both and like both.

I'm not going to pretend to know anything but while reading this thread I kept wandering when someone was going to say something about the fact that they are close but that the 300 win mag is bigger diameter giving it more knock down power. Like I said maybe I'm missing something but that's why I always thought the 300 was better. I agree they are close ballistically but in my opinion when it two calibers are that close for me it comes down to knock down power. And I know I am about to get hammered with they both have plenty of that but I'd rather have to much. That being said, I own both and like both.

Again! The purpose of this thread is asking the question,( Why the 7mm mag didn't make the sniper list?) As I said before, the debate will go on forever! Again! I own both, like both, shoot both! Just have a soft spot for the 7mm mag, guess because it was my first LR rifle, givin to me by a very close relitive back in the 70's! That being said, Thank You, Thank You, Thank You to each an every one of our Vets an Those Currently In Our Military For Your Service, Sacrifice, An Courage!!! Most Of All, Thank You GOD For Keeping Your Mighty Hand Of Power An Safety On Those That Serve For Our Freedom!!!! Amen!!!!!!!

The 7mm Mag would be as effective as anything else in a snipers hands I suppose.

Another question; Wasn't the military playing around with the 6.5 Grendel in their service rifles? Whatever happened to ththat ordeal? Did it fall through the floor or is it still a consideration to the military?

Oh, and the number one reason the military stuck with the .300 WinMag, was because of the already massive surplus of .308 caliber projectiles and US869 powder they stock. .........

Mud, for some reason I thought the MK248 Mod1 .300 win Mag ammo was using H-1000? Am I wrong?

Another question; Wasn't the military playing around with the 6.5 Grendel in their service rifles? Whatever happened to ththat ordeal? Did it fall through the floor or is it still a consideration to the military?

The military was toying with the idea of changing calibers to something that had a little more knock-down power than the 5.56. One of the major caveats being, the new cartridge had to readily adapt to current weapons with minimal or zero issues. The Grendel failed that test pretty handily IIRC. I believe it was issues with belt fed weapons? Don't quote me on that as i'm speaking from memory (& sometimes mine sucks).

t

Makes sense. there's definitely more shoulder area to deal with on the Grendel and I suppose the 30 degree shoulder angle on the Grendel isn't as adept at feeding as the 23 degree of the 5.56.

Thanks for that info :)

Makes sense. there's definitely more shoulder area to deal with on the Grendel and I suppose the 30 degree shoulder angle on the Grendel isn't as adept at feeding as the 23 degree of the 5.56.

Thanks for that info :)

Don't thank me yet lol. Just what I "thought" I remember if that makes any sense. Maybe one of the other gents can clarify or correct the statement.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.