7mm rem mag for long range hunting?

Went through the same thing and I am re-barreling my 7 STW to a 7mm mag shooting 180 Bergers after a lot of research. I have several long range 338's, but just wanted an all around somewhat light weight 10-11 lbs, long range hunting rifle for hunting antelope and deer under 1000 yards.

First off the 7mm Rem Mag will most likely hit harder at 800 than the 300 WSM. Why? the 300 is bigger? yeah. but the 7mm has a way better BC. It retains energy and hits harder at longer ranges. If you reload your 7mm with a 180 VLD it will leave a 300 WSM in its tracks. Especially since they both start off at a similar velocity. That load is more than capable of killing anything in North America a lot farther than almost anybody has business shooting. If your 7mm is a shooter I say go for it. Being comfortable with your rifle and knowing you can make the shot is the most important aspect. :cool:
You took the words out of my mouth. I read a while back that the 7mm rem mag will out due a 300 win mag beyond 600 yds because of the Higher bc with comperable weight bullits

Hysterical! moose at 800 yards? I would bet that you could "sneak up" on him a wee tad closer than that... unless you hunt him on the Bonneville Salt Flats. I hunt and therefore am obliged to kill as quickly and humanely as is possible. I would take that shot at 800 on a critter as big and tough as a moose with either round. A great shot may kill with either, but come on! You are far more likely to be tracking a wounded moose for days given where moose are found. Even with a 338 (which IMHO is the only caliber that I would personally use at that distance on game that tough) isn't really enough, unless you can hit a pie plate at that distance, cold bore, 10 out of 10 times in nasty weather, out of breath and lying on a bumble bee nest.

That being said, I go with the 7RM, hands down: more punch (retained velocity) at that distance, better BC, better SD.

Hysterical! moose at 800 yards? I would bet that you could "sneak up" on him a wee tad closer than that... unless you hunt him on the Bonneville Salt Flats. I hunt and therefore am obliged to kill as quickly and humanely as is possible. I would take that shot at 800 on a critter as big and tough as a moose with either round. A great shot may kill with either, but come on! You are far more likely to be tracking a wounded moose for days given where moose are found. Even with a 338 (which IMHO is the only caliber that I would personally use at that distance on game that tough) isn't really enough, unless you can hit a pie plate at that distance, cold bore, 10 out of 10 times in nasty weather, out of breath and lying on a bumble bee nest.

That being said, I go with the 7RM, hands down: more punch (retained velocity) at that distance, better BC, better SD.

First off, thanks for resurrecting a Zombie thread. Only 3 Years old.
Second off, this is a long range hunting forum and if you want to push your self imposed limits on others... TAKE IT ELSEWERE.
MANY on here can hit a pie plate 10/10 at 800 yards. Myself included. Others can at beyond 1000 yards. A big .338 doesn't run out of steam until 1400 and 1700 yards (1500 ft/lbs or energy).

And to the others that say that a 7 Rem smokes a 300 WSM past 600 yards, your assumptions are nothing more than what you read in a magazine or your grandpa told you. Compare high b.c bullets to high b.c bullets with both calibers and you will see that typically the bigger cal, the more range. Don't go off trajectory, base your effective range on energy/momentum and velocity.

Questions are good, but don't preach if you don't have the experience to back it up.

I totally agree with angus-5024...I shoot both the 7mm mag with 180 VLD's @3056 fps and the 300WSM with 215VLD's, 800 yards with either on a moose is no problem! You just need to spend many hours at the range practicing, as many on this site do! Both calibers are great! I would rather use either of my 338 Lapua's, but would not have a problem with the other two as well!

I totally agree with angus-5024...I shoot both the 7mm mag with 180 VLD's @3056 fps and the 300WSM with 215VLD's, 800 yards with either on a moose is no problem! You just need to spend many hours at the range practicing, as many on this site do! Both calibers are great! I would rather use either of my 338 Lapua's, but would not have a problem with the other two as well!

+1. Put down your F&S and take some time to learn from those on here that do this type of shooting regularly.

hi guys
I'm new to this site. I have the sendero 7mm mag and I can't get anything to shoot consistently. I've tried rem coreloks 175 gr. , nosler accubonds 168 gr. now I'm using sierra gamekings 165 gr. the sierra gamekings are shooting the best out of the bunch but still not good. cannot group 4" at 100 yrds. different shooters tried this gun in a vise and nobody can hit consistently. I've also bedded the gun which made no difference at all. anybody got any suggestions that might work. I've seen a few comments on the berger bullets and people having better groups. any advise would be appreciated.
thanks

Same gun and the HSM 168g Bergers are great. 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards. Good for factory but handloads will be coming next.

Yup. Get a box of HSM loaded with 168 Bergers if you're using factory ammo.

I got sucked into a really old thread revived a couple pages back.....

So I'm retracting my previous comment, because it would be totally irrelevant now.

Last edited:
hi guys
I'm new to this site. I have the sendero 7mm mag and I can't get anything to shoot consistently. I've tried rem coreloks 175 gr. , nosler accubonds 168 gr. now I'm using sierra gamekings 165 gr. the sierra gamekings are shooting the best out of the bunch but still not good. cannot group 4" at 100 yrds. different shooters tried this gun in a vise and nobody can hit consistently. I've also bedded the gun which made no difference at all. anybody got any suggestions that might work. I've seen a few comments on the berger bullets and people having better groups. any advise would be appreciated.
thanks

Hate to say it man but if you have eliminated shooter error and the best the gun will do with multiple factory ammo is 4+" at 100 then it sounds like you have a serious rifle issue. You can try a different factor load (and you never know, it may work) but I think it would be a waist of more money.

Seems a lot of guys are concerned about the killing power of a 7 RM these days. I think that some of it comes from the newer larger calibers possibly pushing the envelope, I have no idea. I guess I have a lot of faith in the 7RM. I am sure most have watched the video of Aaron Davidon's kid shooting a bull at 1276yds. Just goes to show that shot placement is everything. I ask a lot of opinions of people out this way that have hunted elk their whole lives, not just once every few years. There are a ton of 7RM's out there. Just as many 300 win mags. Not a ton of 338's, but I think that will change in the years to come.

Anybody I have talked to about it who does a lot of elk hunting tells me they would shoot the 7RM to kill as far as you can comfortable shooting it, even beyond 1000yds, and they preach shot placement. If you blast one in the guts with a 338 or 7RM, same results. Not saying anything bad about any of the other calibers, as I would love to own one of every one of those too. hehe

This is just things I have heard from guys who have killed more elk in their life than I have probably seen. hahaha

I shoot a 7RM Sendero with a brake. Didn't need the brake, but holy cow is it awesome fun to shoot with it. I would let my kids shoot it some day that thing is so tame. I shoot 180gr Berger Hybrids at 2880fps. Shoots .5MOA and under out to 685yds right now. Love that gun. Although, I may be tempted to shoot a bigger 7mm of some sort if/when the 195's arrive, it would be hard to move away from my trusty 7RM.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.