7mm rem mag build

To all the people recommending a larger than 30 caliber projectile, please go back and read for comprehension. The OP has a 30 caliber suppressor which he desires to attach to his rifle which is the whole reason he wants a short barrel. All too often we reply with our desires or likes which may or may not be applicable to the situation the OP is asking about.

Perhaps you may wish to either re think the rifle design, or that caliber. A 20 inch Bbl. 7 mag???? Really??? Lots of burned powder outside the barrel. Huge loss of velocity . Have you already considered a 30-06 or .308?? Just wondering.
I have considered the 308. The Sig Cross looks like a nice gun. I sure I may get some hate for this, but I don't think that fits the bill as the long-range fun gun I am wanting. I think I would be disappointed in myself for that one at some point. I would definitely fit the small package part.

Ever overthink things until you get a headache?? I need a little mental relief, please.
Building-ish a 7mm rem mag hunting rifle. Hiking, lightweight, covering miles. Actually want to put it in my pack for wolves when I am bow hunting. Long range if and when I feel comfortable. Mostly a bowhunter so this is my only rifle, for the moment. Elk, bear, etc. Have a suppressor in jail. So my ultimate goal is a 20" threaded barrel with an xlr magnesium element folding chassis. I have been looking at various options to get there on a relative budget. Relative meaning I can afford something if I need to, but I find myself going to the archery counter, not the gun counter. Buy once, cry once is great, but not really pertinent for my desires.
Soooo, I was wanting to do a stock rifle and drop it into the xlr chassis.
Was planning on a bergara hmr pro rifle, using the action and barrel and dropping it into the xlr. How did I get here? I want a good action/trigger and a barrel that can be cut down to 20", AND threaded. $1500 plus the xlr, and I can sell the HMR pro stock if I choose. The problem...that may be a heavier gun than I was hoping. This has the #5.5-6 barrel. I believe the action/barrel/trigger is 5lbs, but I am not sure on exact weights. Bergara has said that I should stick to #5 barrel or more to allow for the 5/8 threads. And the only other #5 barrels are on the Highlander, which is fluted #5, and the HMR (non pro), also #5. The regular HMR has the non-premier action, and I do not know if the fluting on the Highlander has the leeway to cut 4" off of the 24" barrel. That is a substantially lighter rifle, but I don't know the exact barrel weight difference.
I could buy a different aftermarket barrel, but those are another $750 for a carbon, which I would likely need to save any weight, and that is only maybe 8oz.? Can't start with an ultralight mountain rifle, as the barrel won't handle the cut and thread. Could buy an action, barrel, trigger for a bit more than the above build, but by the time I get it built and finished it is substantially more than the above, essentially in the custom realm.
Any thoughts on the weight of the build I described above, or if the highlander fluted barrel can be cut 4", or other options? Fluting the Bergara barrel or ???
thanks in advance.

What weight range are we looking at here? If it has been posted I apologize but I have not seen this.

It was mentioned before, back on page 3 I think, but a Sig Cross in 277 Sig Fury really seems to be what the OP needs. 270 Win performance in a 16" barrel. With the suppressor on, you'll gain a few fps and get close to 7mm RM performance on similar weight bullets. There's not a whole lot of difference between a 7mm RM and a 270 Win in similar sized projectiles. Your choice of higher BC bullets is also about to increase in the .277 now that we have the 27 Nosler.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts