7mm rem mag build

Notyounganymore,
The above sums up exactly what I am thinking, so I will just add a bit to it by saying that you seem to be fishing for people to agree with your choice and disregard what you don't want to hear....that's what it sounds like to me anyway.

Not a slight in any way! to you now but it IS obvious by reading your posts that you DO NOT have much experience with rifles and ballistics so if I were you I would REALLY LISTEN to the solid advice that you are getting here and not to the "few 'smiths" who are telling you that a 20'' 7mmRM will do "really well" at long range because that is nonsense...unless long range to them is 300 yards....again, you like the idea because they are telling you want you want to hear and it fits the idea of the rifle that you want to build.

I will say it again that IN MY OPINION (take it or leave it) you are making a poor decision if you bild that rifle BUT if you really want to build what you want to build, and it will make you happy then go for it....you only need to please yourself!

A "healthy discussion" goes both ways too;)
Thanks very much for that. I absolutely agree that we all look for validation of our original thought, but would disagree I am stuck on a 7mmRM and disregarding other options. In fact, that couldn't be further from the truth! If I believed what a few gunsmiths told me, I never would have posted here. That's why I am looking for your input. And I am taking it. As I said I am definitely looking toward the short action cartridges. I believe it would be safe to say that "don't buy a 7MM rem mag and cut it to 20 inches" has been hammered in fairly thoroughly. Point definitely taken. And again, I thank you all for that.

Thanks for the reply. I considered the 22" option with the removable supressor, which is why I settled on the trash panda. As you said, I have no problem lugging a long shotgun around (I have an 870). But if I am reading these posts correctly, I would not win awards for considering a 22" as well. I believe 24" or longer has been the consensus.
So I am looking a bit more at the short actions now.
You mentioned the 28N...I seem to see those being 26" and above as well. Am I incorrect in that? And it was gunwerks that suggested a 20" 7mmRM, so if "they" are being hammered for suggesting that, I am assuming they could be hammered in the same respect for the 28N being shortened? Again, just thinking out loud...Gunwerks definitely knows ballistics, but they obviously also sell guns, so the thoughts of others have been great.
thanks!

Tac Ops wrote an article in 2012 about shortening barrels in both 308win and 300 win mag. They suggested for the 190gr GMM in 300Win mag 22" may be ideal length with a suppressor mounted. They also suggested that with slower burning powder, heavier bullets, or hotter loads 24" may allow more complete powder burn. I will suggest that with a 7mm mag at least 22" and get the Q whistle tip to protect the threads of your cherry bomb while the suppressor is not mounted.

Thanks very much for that. I absolutely agree that we all look for validation of our original thought, but would disagree I am stuck on a 7mmRM and disregarding other options. In fact, that couldn't be further from the truth! If I believed what a few gunsmiths told me, I never would have posted here. That's why I am looking for your input. And I am taking it. As I said I am definitely looking toward the short action cartridges. I believe it would be safe to say that "don't buy a 7MM rem mag and cut it to 20 inches" has been hammered in fairly thoroughly. Point definitely taken. And again, I thank you all for that.

And with that, I wish you the best of luck! Have fun with it and I hope that you get what you are looking for.

There is always a bit of a compromise with everything in life (especially with women;)) but if you do your research and make a wise choice you will be happy...for the most part anyway;)

Honestly, it's very hard to have a rifle capable of being compact, suppressor equipped, lightweight, have enough power to successful harvest the biggest of North American game, and do all of that at long range and still able to carry it around on your back. I know you don't want two rifles, but I really would be looking at a dedicated hunting rifle that will be a standalone weapon. That way it can have a 24"+ barrel, be setup for your suppressor/brake, have a nice scope on it, a comfortable and suitable stock, and be chambered in a magnum cartridge.

If you want to take elk, bear, moose, etc. then I'd want a 7mmRM with a full house load at the minimum. A big .30cal or even a .338 magnum in a 10-12lb rifle would be ideal for a long range big game rifle. Then have a rifle you throw on your back when bow hunting for wolf defense. I'd choose an AR15 with collapsable stock, 16" barrel, suppressed, with a 1-4x optic or a red dot sight. This would be light, handy carbine, offering fast follow up shots, and having 20-30 rounds on tap for a dangerous wolf encounter. A 7mm Rem Mag in a bolt action just doesn't seem to be as practical for a wolf defense rifle.
I totally agree I don't go anywhere in bear country without my short little 10mm pistol. Works with long range gun or a bow! The huge chunk of cash you saved can go towards that long range gun and now you have options for the job at hand. One guns no fun, too many compromises for me🧐

Well, since you are open to other magnums I would go 300 wsm,good ammo availability and bullet selection and would suffer the least from a short barrel

Ever overthink things until you get a headache?? I need a little mental relief, please.
Building-ish a 7mm rem mag hunting rifle. Hiking, lightweight, covering miles. Actually want to put it in my pack for wolves when I am bow hunting. Long range if and when I feel comfortable. Mostly a bowhunter so this is my only rifle, for the moment. Elk, bear, etc. Have a suppressor in jail. So my ultimate goal is a 20" threaded barrel with an xlr magnesium element folding chassis. I have been looking at various options to get there on a relative budget. Relative meaning I can afford something if I need to, but I find myself going to the archery counter, not the gun counter. Buy once, cry once is great, but not really pertinent for my desires.
Soooo, I was wanting to do a stock rifle and drop it into the xlr chassis.
Was planning on a bergara hmr pro rifle, using the action and barrel and dropping it into the xlr. How did I get here? I want a good action/trigger and a barrel that can be cut down to 20", AND threaded. $1500 plus the xlr, and I can sell the HMR pro stock if I choose. The problem...that may be a heavier gun than I was hoping. This has the #5.5-6 barrel. I believe the action/barrel/trigger is 5lbs, but I am not sure on exact weights. Bergara has said that I should stick to #5 barrel or more to allow for the 5/8 threads. And the only other #5 barrels are on the Highlander, which is fluted #5, and the HMR (non pro), also #5. The regular HMR has the non-premier action, and I do not know if the fluting on the Highlander has the leeway to cut 4" off of the 24" barrel. That is a substantially lighter rifle, but I don't know the exact barrel weight difference.
I could buy a different aftermarket barrel, but those are another $750 for a carbon, which I would likely need to save any weight, and that is only maybe 8oz.? Can't start with an ultralight mountain rifle, as the barrel won't handle the cut and thread. Could buy an action, barrel, trigger for a bit more than the above build, but by the time I get it built and finished it is substantially more than the above, essentially in the custom realm.
Any thoughts on the weight of the build I described above, or if the highlander fluted barrel can be cut 4", or other options? Fluting the Bergara barrel or ???
thanks in advance.
Something you might consider is a Browning Lever in takedown. They come with great sights and in .308 are easy to shoot and shoot well, this would put you out to at least 400 yds. and around 7 lbs. if you needed more distance put a Lyman peep on that will give whatever the gun is capable of if your eyes are good.. They stow away in a 20" pack and take about 45 seconds to put together. There are a lot of people carrying these in their pack these days. Happy shooting.

take a look at the Remington 700CP with the arm brace in 6.5 or 308 put a good trigger in it and you are done 12.5 inch barrel already threaded I have been playing with one in the 6.5 very surprised how well it shoots

What about one of these? 5.8lbs including the stock, so I would think 4.xxx for the barreled action. Street price is under $1200. Only a couple hundred more than just buying a proof barrel, plus it's a factory blueprinted action.

This one is a 280ai (should be real close to 7rm performance in the shorter barrel, with less blast/muzzle pressure) , but you could do a 6.5prc or a 300wm to move up or down power levels. They come in a handful of cartridges. I'm planning on getting either a 6.5prc or a 28 nosler as my primary hunting rifle. I do a ton of walking through dense stuff and marsh so the weight and compact dimensions are perfect for me

Last edited:
Ever overthink things until you get a headache?? I need a little mental relief, please.
Building-ish a 7mm rem mag hunting rifle. Hiking, lightweight, covering miles. Actually want to put it in my pack for wolves when I am bow hunting. Long range if and when I feel comfortable. Mostly a bowhunter so this is my only rifle, for the moment. Elk, bear, etc. Have a suppressor in jail. So my ultimate goal is a 20" threaded barrel with an xlr magnesium element folding chassis. I have been looking at various options to get there on a relative budget. Relative meaning I can afford something if I need to, but I find myself going to the archery counter, not the gun counter. Buy once, cry once is great, but not really pertinent for my desires.
Soooo, I was wanting to do a stock rifle and drop it into the xlr chassis.
Was planning on a bergara hmr pro rifle, using the action and barrel and dropping it into the xlr. How did I get here? I want a good action/trigger and a barrel that can be cut down to 20", AND threaded. $1500 plus the xlr, and I can sell the HMR pro stock if I choose. The problem...that may be a heavier gun than I was hoping. This has the #5.5-6 barrel. I believe the action/barrel/trigger is 5lbs, but I am not sure on exact weights. Bergara has said that I should stick to #5 barrel or more to allow for the 5/8 threads. And the only other #5 barrels are on the Highlander, which is fluted #5, and the HMR (non pro), also #5. The regular HMR has the non-premier action, and I do not know if the fluting on the Highlander has the leeway to cut 4" off of the 24" barrel. That is a substantially lighter rifle, but I don't know the exact barrel weight difference.
I could buy a different aftermarket barrel, but those are another $750 for a carbon, which I would likely need to save any weight, and that is only maybe 8oz.? Can't start with an ultralight mountain rifle, as the barrel won't handle the cut and thread. Could buy an action, barrel, trigger for a bit more than the above build, but by the time I get it built and finished it is substantially more than the above, essentially in the custom realm.
Any thoughts on the weight of the build I described above, or if the highlander fluted barrel can be cut 4", or other options? Fluting the Bergara barrel or ???
thanks in advance.
You and I are similar. I Love the 7mm RM and have at least one in the safe for about 20 years. Have shot Muke Deer, Whitetails, and Antelope with the cartridge, one Antelope at 700 yards.
I too wanted a light weight rifle and I recently bought a Mauser 18 in 7mm RM. The rifle weighs 6.5 lbs, and has a 5 shot (not 3) 1 MOA accuracy guarantee. It has a 24.4 in barrel, must be a metric thing as the gun is made in Germany. I put a Zeiss 3x15 scope on it, fairly light weight. The whole set up weighs in at 8lbs 3 oz.
I re-load but also have Hornady Hunter Precision 162 gr factory ammo, as I have had this ammo shoot well in several 7mm RM's. The first 3 shot group I shot with this ammo went .546 at 100 yards, done. No need to try any other ammo or re-load.
If you really are set with a 20 in barrel, you could take this rifle to a competent gunsmith and have him cut and thread the barrel. The Mauser 18 costs less than $500, so even having the barrel cut and threaded won't set you back much.
Just my take, good luck on your quest!

One thing that no one else has seemed to mention is doing a "Remage" build with components from Northland Shooters Supply. You should be able to get a trued Remington action with prefit Criterion barrel (cut and threaded to a specified length) with recoil lug and barrel nut for right around $1k. It should give you a bit more flexibility on barrel contour and twist rate.

Honestly, I think there are better cartridges for what you are wanting to achieve I would look into some short action cartridges. By the time you cut a 7mm RM barrel down to 20" you down into a 7mm -08 range of velocity. And you won't be throwing nearly as large of a ring of fire out the end of the barrel. Even 308 wouldn't be a bad choice in that barrel length. My 20" 308 barrel (suppressed) shoots 155 class bullets at 2800 FPS, and I'm guessing 130-140 class bullets out of a 7mm-08 with 20" tube would still be going 2900 or better. Most of those big magnums need longer barrels to burn all of the powder and accelerate the bullet to its full potential. Just my 2 cents.
I had a 7mm RM and after many years put it (140gr.) over a chronograph. Boy was I disappointed ! My .270 Win. with 130 hrs. was running the same velocity. And those were pretty warm loads I was running in my 7MM. If I were to buy another 7MM Mag. it eels be the Weatherby . Just my two cents .

notyounganymore, I believe that we have a great deal of good advice going on here. I will ad a bit of my own. I am just giving some options you have been given before.
the 7MM R/M is popular, more popular than I ever thought it would be. As I read it you want a gun that will take care of Bear, Elk, and Wolves with a folding chassis and a caliber worthy of taking down the most dangerous of them the bear. in my estimation there is only three or four cartridges that work in the realm of a 20 " barrel. only one holds a "magnum" name. I will give you the cartridges that fill the bill here. 338 A-square AI, as much as I hate the cartridge the 280 Rem AI, and the big bruiser of the trio 375 H&H. None are really a long distance cartridge but they will do what you want. I keep forgetting the 338 Win Mag for a 20" barrel it might be another viable option.
as for the rifle and building it. go to a gunsmith, have him assemble a good quality action and barrel. I suggest something like a Rem-700 with a McGowen barrel with 8 deep flutes that is chambered in your choice of calibers. if needed get a PTG bolt for the action and get a better extractor. get a short muzzle brake to keep the recoil manageable if you are recoil sensitive. Midway USA sometimes has Rem-700 receivers on sale for 200 to 300 dollars, the bolt from PTG will cost aobut $250, the barrel should cost somewhere in the $750 to $900 range istalled by McGowen barrels. then a good quality trigger will cost between $129 and $200. you can get bottom metal or detachable magazine bottom metal with one mag for nearly the same price of $90.00.

This is the fun part ... the planning and dreaming. In our minds we create a cartridge that strikes like a bolt of lightning as far as we can think, recoils like a Daisy, always centers the next shot on the last bullet hole and comes with a good-natured gun bearer. In reality I always get back to my little HVA Husky lightweight '06 Imp'd with the shotgun sissy-pad and the Leupold 3.5-10x50 and the bayonet TD stock. If I imagine something wanting more grunt, I'll screw on the 35 Whelen barrel.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.