7mm rem mag build

Ever overthink things until you get a headache?? I need a little mental relief, please.
Building-ish a 7mm rem mag hunting rifle. Hiking, lightweight, covering miles. Actually want to put it in my pack for wolves when I am bow hunting. Long range if and when I feel comfortable. Mostly a bowhunter so this is my only rifle, for the moment. Elk, bear, etc. Have a suppressor in jail. So my ultimate goal is a 20" threaded barrel with an xlr magnesium element folding chassis. I have been looking at various options to get there on a relative budget. Relative meaning I can afford something if I need to, but I find myself going to the archery counter, not the gun counter. Buy once, cry once is great, but not really pertinent for my desires.
Soooo, I was wanting to do a stock rifle and drop it into the xlr chassis.
Was planning on a bergara hmr pro rifle, using the action and barrel and dropping it into the xlr. How did I get here? I want a good action/trigger and a barrel that can be cut down to 20", AND threaded. $1500 plus the xlr, and I can sell the HMR pro stock if I choose. The problem...that may be a heavier gun than I was hoping. This has the #5.5-6 barrel. I believe the action/barrel/trigger is 5lbs, but I am not sure on exact weights. Bergara has said that I should stick to #5 barrel or more to allow for the 5/8 threads. And the only other #5 barrels are on the Highlander, which is fluted #5, and the HMR (non pro), also #5. The regular HMR has the non-premier action, and I do not know if the fluting on the Highlander has the leeway to cut 4" off of the 24" barrel. That is a substantially lighter rifle, but I don't know the exact barrel weight difference.
I could buy a different aftermarket barrel, but those are another $750 for a carbon, which I would likely need to save any weight, and that is only maybe 8oz.? Can't start with an ultralight mountain rifle, as the barrel won't handle the cut and thread. Could buy an action, barrel, trigger for a bit more than the above build, but by the time I get it built and finished it is substantially more than the above, essentially in the custom realm.
Any thoughts on the weight of the build I described above, or if the highlander fluted barrel can be cut 4", or other options? Fluting the Bergara barrel or ???
thanks in advance.

Honestly, I think there are better cartridges for what you are wanting to achieve I would look into some short action cartridges. By the time you cut a 7mm RM barrel down to 20" you down into a 7mm -08 range of velocity. And you won't be throwing nearly as large of a ring of fire out the end of the barrel. Even 308 wouldn't be a bad choice in that barrel length. My 20" 308 barrel (suppressed) shoots 155 class bullets at 2800 FPS, and I'm guessing 130-140 class bullets out of a 7mm-08 with 20" tube would still be going 2900 or better. Most of those big magnums need longer barrels to burn all of the powder and accelerate the bullet to its full potential. Just my 2 cents.

Take this with a grain of salt, the only factory rifles I own are Sakos. I build everything... for what you just described I would build a 7rsaum or a 7wsm in the 22" range. You'll get enough burn with a good 160 class bullet to have full expansion past 600 yards easily. Put together exactly what YOU want. The custom rifle game always leads to wanting another and another and another. My best advice is to look really long and hard at what you MUST have and get everything on that list. Then get as many things you WANT and stay under budget. The second best advice I can give is DO NOT SKIP ON THE GLASS.

Good luck with your adventure

I for sure would not want a 20" 7 mag. Total waste of powder. Look at the tika t3 lite or maybe a kimber in 7mm08. Not a huge kimber fan but they make some lightweight rifles. You may even be able to get a chassis for the tika.

Not a lot of help here, but you may be able to sell the factory stock and barrel to recoup some of the new barrel and installation cost. Not certain if you are married to the Bergara action, but there are some custom actions available that could get you in the game for maybe another $5-600 complete. I may be a little low. Everything seems to cost more than I initially speculate. Perhaps you could obtain one of these custom actions used at a reduced price. In the end, it would likely be a better rifle and have better resale should you choose to sell at a later date.

I have many #2 barrels threaded for suppressors. As suggested if you are sort of new to centerfire shooting, you could do a lot with less in regards to cartridge selection. Heck I would suggest just buying an older Rem 700 with low round count. I had great success with those.

Have a smith chop it to 18", thread on a correct adapter for your suppressor and enjoy shooting. Old 700s could be had in 243, 7mm-08, 308, or 270, 30-06. My old 30-06 at 18" is super accurate and all factory other than the barrel bob and stock.

Or just hustle and find a Barrett Fieldcraft that is already threaded. Way better, and I mean not even close, resale value.

What kind of suppressor are you getting? those things are magical

I think you are wanting the folding chassis to save room for a pack?
I have a XLR Element, albeit it's a 1.0 for a 24" fluted bull barrel savage in 308 and that gun is not light. I've never thought about a chassis being a part of a lightweight rig. Although the magnesium element you mention states it is ultralight. But still, IMO the pistol grip design on a chassis does not seem pack friendly either. I'd look into a more traditional hunting shaped stock like a manners or mcmillan or boyd's. Then look for carbon fiber if weight is most important.

I really like the 7mm RM option (the title is what made me open this thread). I've shot one for 25 years and taken everything from little piggies to a moose with it. It is the most accurate factory gun I own. I am however not too sure about a 20" barrel for that round. I think you either need to accept that it should be a 26" barrel or 24" at the least OR look into short actions for a 20" barrel.

Sorry, can't comment on the barrel contours or brands you are mentioning as that's about where my knowledge is certainly not up to yours.

Keep overthinking the whole build though; that's part of the fun.

As others stated, I'd look into a smaller caliber for your purposes. I'd go with a short action, 6.5mm of some flavor like a 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC, use a #3 or lighter sporter weight fluted barrel threaded with 1/2x28 threads and finished at 20". I'd look into getting a Remington 700 action, the new ones are good and you can have the bolt fluted and some upgrades done and have $500ish dollars in it. I don't have any experience with a chassis system, but I think I'd get a lightweight traditional style stock and just carry it in an Eberlestock pack that has the rifle carrier on the back. You could throw a lightweight scope on it and have the total package be around 8lbs.

Do what you want on the cartridge. My Pops has a 14" barreled Savage Striker in 300wsm and it still hauls freight at 30-06 velocities. At 20" you will loose some vel. but you'll still be well above a 7-08, etc. as those aren't that fast in a short barrel either. As stated I'd also look at a Tikka; I bought a tikka t3x 7rem for my boy in November and she's a shooter out of the box. A bit of length off of her and she'd still be great. I'm not sure if the barrel would be to trim to thread, but that's up to you and your 'smith to get done.

If I were you...I be a new cool kid a get a 6.5 PRC build it with a 20 to 22 in carbon fiber barrel. I'm not familiar with that Chasis but I will say the little PRC I have played with had a 18 in barrel and did great. 20 in with a 6 in suppressor still is compact. You can get ammo for it if your not a reloader--and if you are lots of good components.

If I were looking for a compact gun just to have on me in case I see a Wolf while bowhunting AND I was looking to put a suppressor on it, I would go a totally different route. I would buy a short AR-15 in 300 Whisper. A supersonic bullet still makes noise on firing and the bullet continues to do so as it travels downrange. A subsonic 300 Whisper bullet barely makes a sound.

But if you do want to go with a bolt gun I agree with the others that a 7mmMag is a bad choice....I would then go with a 308.

Just my 2 Cents, GOOD LUCK!

Ever overthink things until you get a headache?? I need a little mental relief, please.
Building-ish a 7mm rem mag hunting rifle. Hiking, lightweight, covering miles. Actually want to put it in my pack for wolves when I am bow hunting. Long range if and when I feel comfortable. Mostly a bowhunter so this is my only rifle, for the moment. Elk, bear, etc. Have a suppressor in jail. So my ultimate goal is a 20" threaded barrel with an xlr magnesium element folding chassis. I have been looking at various options to get there on a relative budget. Relative meaning I can afford something if I need to, but I find myself going to the archery counter, not the gun counter. Buy once, cry once is great, but not really pertinent for my desires.
Soooo, I was wanting to do a stock rifle and drop it into the xlr chassis.
Was planning on a bergara hmr pro rifle, using the action and barrel and dropping it into the xlr. How did I get here? I want a good action/trigger and a barrel that can be cut down to 20", AND threaded. $1500 plus the xlr, and I can sell the HMR pro stock if I choose. The problem...that may be a heavier gun than I was hoping. This has the #5.5-6 barrel. I believe the action/barrel/trigger is 5lbs, but I am not sure on exact weights. Bergara has said that I should stick to #5 barrel or more to allow for the 5/8 threads. And the only other #5 barrels are on the Highlander, which is fluted #5, and the HMR (non pro), also #5. The regular HMR has the non-premier action, and I do not know if the fluting on the Highlander has the leeway to cut 4" off of the 24" barrel. That is a substantially lighter rifle, but I don't know the exact barrel weight difference.
I could buy a different aftermarket barrel, but those are another $750 for a carbon, which I would likely need to save any weight, and that is only maybe 8oz.? Can't start with an ultralight mountain rifle, as the barrel won't handle the cut and thread. Could buy an action, barrel, trigger for a bit more than the above build, but by the time I get it built and finished it is substantially more than the above, essentially in the custom realm.
Any thoughts on the weight of the build I described above, or if the highlander fluted barrel can be cut 4", or other options? Fluting the Bergara barrel or ???
thanks in advance.
The problem with what you are wanting to do is that you'll have a bunch of money tied up in a factory action/barrel and probably won't have exactly what you want.
Plus you can't chop a fluted barrel because the flutes need to end about 2" from the muzzle.

With a suppressor you really want a heavier profile (.700 muzzle minimum) because hanging weight off the end of a light barrel can effect harmonics and cause accuracy issues.

I'd go this route if it were me;

Buy a Big Horn origin, defiance tenacity, or any other 700 footprint action in the $700-$800 range.

Buy a prefit carbon fiber barrel from Oregon Mountain Rifles $675 ready to screw on, they offer a bunch of chamberings I'd recommend a SA magnum 7mm or 6.5 built on a long action.

That'll put you around $1500 plus another $150 for a really good trigger and whatever the XLR costs

Good luck and don't compromise you'll regret it later

Thanks all for the replies!
Couple of thoughts. I want one gun. Yes I want it to be a gun capable of shooting an elk or bear down range, even going north of the border to hunt big game. And if I see a(nother) wolf inside of this zipcode..

Don't want a 308, don't "need" a 300wm. Want more than a 6.5C. Considered a 7saum or 28N, but I have zero desire to reload. Factory ammo for me, so I want options.

My bigger "wants" are a 20" or so barrel so I don't have a pole vault gun with my suppressor. Q Trash Panda to be exact. And a barrel that can be cut and threaded by my local gunsmith for the suppressor. Next would be a folding stock, although that isn't a must, just a want. It will add a little weight, I know. The XLR mag chassis is 2.5lbs-ish total.

I hear varying opinions on the 7mmRM, but most people (gunsmiths and builders) I have talked to seem to think that with the options out there in 168gn plus ammo, I am well ahead of most other caliber options for my wants, even with a few fps loss with a 20" barrel. A short action would be nice such as a 6.5PRC, but only if it has readily available factory ammo that outperforms a 7mmRM for what I want. Other thoughts? Admittedly, I know very little about 7wsm and 7rsaum, but I am not sure I gain anything with those. Otherwise, it's just another option to give me another headache.

I am absolutely NOT married to the Bergara. I have just heard reasonable things about their premier actions and barrels, and that's all I needed. My local gunsmith(s) absolutely will not consider threading a tiika lite barrel or similar, so stock rifles in that category don't get me my #1 want. As was stated by someone else, they are wanting a .700 barrel to put 5/8 threads on it. And while I can argue with that, it's their business and equipment (so I can't argue with that).

So in reading the help you all have given me, it sounds like a better option may be the 7mmRM with a carbon prethreaded 20" barrel, and the origin or tenacity action with a good trigger with the xlr chassis. Likely a fair amount lighter than my original plan, and a nicer gun? Not too expensive, either. At least not compared to my original plan.

Any other suggestions, or things I am missing??

And for the poster that mentioned getting good glass...couldn't agree more.

thanks again, All.

Again...I'm reading what you wrote and I'll stick by the 6.5 PRC. More factory options coming daily. I think they are even going to launch a 156 load (HSM) so 120-156...I'd shoot a bear with a PRC...maybe not a costal Brown Bear, but anything else...sure....

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts