7mm rem mag build 28 or 26 barrel

Svnmag

I have narrowed my build down to a broughton barrel 5c is it worth getting it in a 28 finished length over a 26? My grand plan is to shoot the Berger 180vld around 3000fps
Any help is appreciated as it is my 1st build

26" should be good for 7mmRM. 26 it long enough to burn the powers for that cartridge, 28 will give you marginal more velocity, but decreases the stiffness. All that being said, 26" is the way to go unless you're thinking about going into the ultra mag range of cartridges.

If I wanted to shoot 180 VLD's at 3000 fps I'd go to a bigger cartridge than a 7mm rem mag. I also would never put a 28" barrel on a rifle I intended to use for hunting, but that might not be your use for it.

So if I got it in a sendero contour the 28 would be worth it?

I have a fluted 28" 7RM #6 contour and the extra length is worth it. I run 180's with Retumbo at 3030 - 3050 fps depending on the powder lot. It doesn't even break a sweat doing it either. I've got 6 firings on my current batch of Winchester cases.

I say go with the 28" barrel. If you don't like it, have a couple inches taken off. The Sendero contour will give you plenty of meat and if you flute it for maximum weight reduction it will balance better. If it's a pack rifle, a 26" might handle slightly better. I've hiked my 28" 7RM up and down some nasty places and never found the barrel to be a hindrance.

I would go with the 28. If in the future you find you don't like the length or the balance it will be a lot easier to shorten a longer barrel than to lengthen a short one.:)

I would go with the 28. If in the future you find you don't like the length or the balance it will be a lot easier to shorten a longer barrel than to lengthen a short one.:)

+1 :cool:! I have a 30" Lilja barrel + the muzzle brake on my .270 AI and haven't had the urge to shorten it yet. :D

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

BTW, I've pushed the 175 Matrix VLD at the 3000+ FPS but settled for 2993 FPS as my accuracy load ... for now. :)

I have a 27 3/4" barrel, all I could get out of a 28" blank, on my 264 Win mag and I don't think it is too long for a hunting rifle even using in shooting houses. It does give me around 100 fps more velocity over a 26" barrel.

Great info guys it will be for a hunting rifle and it's not going to break my heart if it's a little heavier. Just wanting to stay with the 7rem mag and get the most out of it

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.