7mm Rem Mag Berger Load Data

7mmhdhuntr

I'm looking for advice on loading a 168 grn Berger Vld.I plan on seating the bullet .010 off the lands which puts me at 3.510 in my rifle.I am not sure how much more powder I can use being that the bullet is seated further.I used to load 70 grns of Retumbo at 3.365 in my model 70.I am looking to reach the 3100 fps mark.Any tips are greatly appreciated, thank you Long Range members!!

My accuracy loads for both my sons 7mm rm 26" barrel and my 28" 7mm rm are 69.3 and 69.4 grains of H1000 respectively. His rolls at 2960 fps and mine is 3010 fps both ES under 10 fps and both shoot 1/2 moa. It is easy to hit 3100 fps with 168 grain vlds although there was no accuracy that fast although it was fun to hit those speed. Remember start low and work up every gun is different.

Jason

Thanks jrw1976.I am very excited to work up some loads for my new rifle,it is a rem 700 that Has been trued and holds a 27 inch brux barrel with a 1/8.6 twist.I am knew to the custom rifle game so being able to reload to a lot longer C.O.L is unfamiliar to me.I greatly appreciate the tips and advice.Thanks again!

Have you tried using 4831 sc? Iam using it now and have had a lot of sucess with it currently Im using 65.4 grains with the Berger and running 2990 fps- 3030 fps. I have gotten some outstanding groups that sem to stay consistent in the different temps that we are getting right now out east.

Good Luck hope this helps

Christian

I haven't tried H4831sc with berger 168's but I did just played with it behind some 168 grain matrix vlds and I couldnt snug down the groups like I could with the H1000. Retumbo has given some really nice speeds too but it is just not as consistant as H1000 in my rifles anyway.

Jason

I will have to give H1000 a try. I have not worked up any loads with it yet but were all looking for the best overall combo. Some of my rifles are so picky that one loves a combo and and another wont shoot it but that it part of the fun I guess. Have you tried pushing any of the 180 grain Bergers? I have had some really good groups with those as well.

Yes I have tried the berger 180's they grouped fair, under moa. But I didnt stick with them because I couldnt get enough accurate speed out of them for my liking. So I stick with the 160-170 grain bullet and I am happy as a clam.

Jason

Have you tried using 4831 sc? Iam using it now and have had a lot of sucess with it currently Im using 65.4 grains with the Berger and running 2990 fps- 3030 fps. I have gotten some outstanding groups that sem to stay consistent in the different temps that we are getting right now out east.

Good Luck hope this helps

Christian
What gr bullet ya using if i may ask

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.