7mm Rem Mag Barrel Length

sydleier

Hey Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum so I guess I'll go ahead and introduce myself I'm Sydney and I'm getting ready to order my first fully custom rifle. I'm leanig toward getting a 7mm Rem Mag with a Bartlein stainless 5R barrel with a 1:10 twist. What barrel length would be the best for shots upwards of 800yards? Most people are recommending anywhere from 22" - 26". What's the best that you've found?

I would go 1:9 twist and 26 to 28" length. While I have had no problems with stabilizing 162 A-Maxes in a 1:10 twist Hornady recommends a 1:9 or faster and it would leave you open to shoot the 180 Bergers also.

James

Welcome Sydney! I would go with a minimum of 26". You will increase velocity by approx. 40 ft/sec. for every inch of barrel length. If you intend to shoot long range and maintain sufficient energy, the extra velocity will help. You will also want to use a high B.C. bullet for the same reason. There are some good bullets available for that diameter. Hope this helps. Again, welcome!.......Rich:D

If you want a 7mm Mag up off its knees, a 26" barrel certainly helps. Anything shorter and IMO, you may as well go with a .280 or 30-06, these with a 22" barrel

28" with a 1:9 twist.

As long as you are going custom, you may want to consider the 7mm STW or the 7mm RUM. I have nothing against the 7mm Mag, but the ballistics are only marginally better than the 30-06. Both of these other alternatives will get you out to 1000 yds. and commercial ammo is readily available for both.

By the way, welcome to LRH. :)

My 7mm RM is getting 3050 fps with 160 AB's from a 24" barrel. When I change that barrel I'll go to a 26" to find that missing 80 fps. :D

I wouldn't go any shorter than 24". I mean isn't that why you want a magnum ?

JM .02

I shoot 1-9 28" barrel. I can run the 168 VLD to 3100 Fps.

The 28" barrel can get a little long and difficult to uses shoot off hand. Most the time I shoot off a bipod so no worries.

Other thing to think about is carrying cases. 28" barrels do not fit in most hard cases. Just something to keep in mind.

Willys

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.