7mm rem mag barrel contour

Can you elaborate on remage going wrong? It is a proven design with savage rifles and I've done 3 switch barrel builds and all worked well. Was thinking about converting my Remington.
I said things COULD go wrong. Just like with anything else in life, any time you have more parts than something with less parts, there is more potential for errors.

And what could go wrong is the nut working lose from recoil.

what ever you do it dont matter....ya got the right idea.....284 any way it comes is gret…..I love my sporter….takes longer to snap off the shots...but shoots 1/4 moa when I shoot 1/4 moa....I love those guns...I honestly think you should own every caliber in every barrel configuration in every stock platform that there is....yes sir...if you die with 10000 guns...you win.....
Love that line,pretty much everyone dream on this site...:):):)

I said things COULD go wrong. Just like with anything else in life, any time you have more parts than something with less parts, there is more potential for errors.

And what could go wrong is the nut working lose from recoil.
Again, millions of savage rifles demonstrait this simply does not happen unless you do not torque to factory specs. That's like saying the barrel could work itself loose on a regular action

Again, millions of savage rifles demonstrait this simply does not happen unless you do not torque to factory specs. That's like saying the barrel could work itself loose on a regular action
It could. But more movable parts leaves more room for error. Ask any mechanical engineer.

It could. But more movable parts leaves more room for error. Ask any mechanical engineer.
I'm not seeing where there is more movable parts. On a Remington, the barrel locks to the action. On the savage, the nut locks to the action holding the barrel in place. In both instances one thing is holding the barrel in place. Have you ever heard of even one savage report of a barrel working loose because I know I haven't.

I'm not seeing where there is more movable parts. On a Remington, the barrel locks to the action. On the savage, the nut locks to the action holding the barrel in place. In both instances one thing is holding the barrel in place. Have you ever heard of even one savage report of a barrel working loose because I know I haven't.
On the Remington, the barrel has a shoulder. That shoulder crushes the recoil lug into the action, and then gets torqued into place. The nut design, the barrel threads are loose in the action, and the nut pushes against the barrel's threads.

You're getting defensive over something I said was possible. I didn't say it was going to happen. I said this is why I don't like the barrel nut design.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.p...k-did-my-savage-barrel-nut-come-loose.763422/

Well, no matter which way you go there are risks.....right now I'd take any Remage risk, over risking dropping off a barrel and action at an unknown smith.....I'm leaning towards Remage right now for that reason mainly. I guess I could send it out of state, but I think it would be nice to do it local if possible.

On the Remington, the barrel has a shoulder. That shoulder crushes the recoil lug into the action, and then gets torqued into place. The nut design, the barrel threads are loose in the action, and the nut pushes against the barrel's threads.

You're getting defensive over something I said was possible. I didn't say it was going to happen. I said this is why I don't like the barrel nut design.

https://www.thehighroad.org/index.p...k-did-my-savage-barrel-nut-come-loose.763422/
Lol did you read the article. They torqued to 30lbs. Savage states you should torque to 75lbs. Again, user error as I stated above. If you torque to spec, no way is it coming loose

Lol did you read the article. They torqued to 30lbs. Savage states you should torque to 75lbs. Again, user error as I stated above. If you torque to spec, no way is it coming loose
Yes, I did. I was just pointing out that it has happened. I never said it was not user error. Anything is possible when dealing with mechanical items.

Also, my personal opinion is that I don't like them. I'm not going to debate that. The fact that you do, is your personal opinion. You asked our opinions, I gave mine. Don't like it, don't follow it... But I'm not going to sit here and argue personal opinions.

My savage action has a 26" Benchmark #3 in 7mag attached to it, and 0.5 MOA is a bad day on the range for my setup w 180 hybrids. You said this was for high-country mule deer, that's where this setup shines. A 9lb scoped rifle that's dead-on to 800+ yards, tripod, binos, spotting scope, and everything else you need for the day weighs plenty after the first 5 miles. I'd go with a remage and keep the gun under 10 lbs, it is a hunting rifle not a bench queen.

I have used #4 contour barrels several times on hunting rifles, without any issues. I think that they are plenty stiff for very good accuracy, even up to 26" finished length for up to 7mm. That being said, if I was going to go longer than 26 or .30 cal and bigger, I would go with a heavier contour. Just my opinion. Good luck with your decision.

Barrel nuts, it doesn't matter how good they are, are ugly.

It's a lot like owning a Dodge Pickup. It doesn't matter how good it is, it's still a Dodge.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.