7mm Rem Mag and Matchkings?

Autorotate19

Hey I was wondering if anyone on here shoots match kings in their 7mm and how they like em? Also how they have performed on game? Also what twist is needed to stabilize the 175's? Thanks gun)

I've been running the 168smk @ 2850 out of my pistol and it's worked great from 20-4601 yards. I havent tried the 175 yet...

Over the years I had a friend who used matchkings out of his 7MM Rem mag all of the time on deer.

I decided to try it and found that they work very well. I never saw him lose an animal, and neither did I.

The hydraulic energy of the bullet impact on deer takes them down quickly.

I don't think I would recommend them on elk though. It is nice to have something that stays together for bigger animals.

Also Iv heard their BC is higher than advertised, is this true? What about gamekings, are they as accurate? Thanks

Also Iv heard their BC is higher than advertised, is this true? What about gamekings, are they as accurate? Thanks

I've been shooting Sierra's, Hornady's, Noslers, and Speers with a few Barnes thrown in from time to time for over 40 years and I have never been disappointed with any of them for hunting purposes.

Now when you get out there at 1000 yards like many of these guys shoot, I know most of them shoot Noslers, Hornady's and Sierra's with quite a few using Bergers as well. They are a lot better at this than I am.

My longest shot on game was Dall Sheep. A little over 700 yards. Remington 700 BDL 7mm Rem Mag. Remington corelok 150 grain bullet out of the box in 1968.

Then there is Joel Russo of this forum who shot a 3 shot group under 4 inches at over 1600 yards. That's shooting.

I am certain that you will find the Gameking bullet to be quite adequate for almost any shooting you will do.

What will make the difference is the weapon and you. How well do you shoot.

I got a question.... why would you want to shoot the SMK 168 when the BC is just hair bit better than the .30? I would think the Berger in the 168 or JLK would be a much better option. The 160 Accubond will even out perform the 168 SMK. How about the 162 A-max. Don't get me wrong, Sierra's are good bullets, but the BC's are not that good compared to others mentioned above. Just a thought to consider when you want to shoot long range. .488 BC really isn't that good at that weight for a 7mm anymore. The 175 would be a much better bullet to choose. IMHO

A 1:9 will stabilize the 175SMK.

Tank

I have a Rem 700 BDL in 7mmRemMag. I shoot the 140gr Sierra Game King. I have a load for it, that will shoot dime sized groups, consistently at 100yds. They perform very well on deer.
I don't have a range to shoot longer than that distance, and hunting here is usually much less than that, so I can't speak about their performance at longer ranges.
The only thing I have done to the rifle, besides tweaking the trigger, is free-floated the barrel.

I was thinking about shooting the 175's over the 168's. I agree with you that the other bullets are better choices. I dont know why I guess just brain storming. Iv heard that they are easier to get shooting well compared to the vld's and arent as temper mental about seating depth. Im not going to lie, I hate load development, I like to find something that shoots and go with it. Thanks for the reply though.

I was thinking about shooting the 175's over the 168's. I agree with you that the other bullets are better choices. I dont know why I guess just brain storming. Iv heard that they are easier to get shooting well compared to the vld's and arent as temper mental about seating depth. Im not going to lie, I hate load development, I like to find something that shoots and go with it. Thanks for the reply though.

The 175 SMK's won't let you down.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.