7mm Rem Mag and H4831SC

hick135

I am working up a load for my savage 7mm rem mag using winchester brass, federal 215m primers, berger 168 vld hunting, and H4831SC. In doing the ladder method starting at 61gr and workint up to 65gr i only found one node. My last shot with 65gr, the book listed max do not exceed presure, it made quite a jump vertically. In doing the best i can to visually check for pressure signs i can not see any. The primer on the case from the 65gr load looks identical to the primer on the 61 gr. The bolt opened as if there was no case in it at all. My question is has anyone loaded this similar load hotter than the max. I am looking to see if there is another node just on the other side of 65. i would like to get my velocity up to 3000. 65gr gave me 2916. any suggestions or slaps in the face are welcome.

Depending on your OAL you should have plenty of room to go up in powder charge, start with your 65 grn load and load 4 or 5 rounds going up .5grns at a time until you have a primer starting to flatten then back off about .2 or .3 grns that'll put you where you wanna be.

If your not seeing any pressure signs, slightly increase the powder until you do theb back off. This might put you close to 3000. If that doesn't work you might try a different powder such as Rl 25 or retumbo. best accuracy in my savage was also with 4831 sc but at 63.5.

I've worked up to 68 grains without any pressure. However, I think that is max in my rifle. Working up from 65 to 66 grains gained 44 fps. 66 to 67 grains gained 52 fps. 67 to 68 grains gained only 12 fps.

This has all been very helpfull. Thats exactly what i was looking for. I figured i could go up some past the LAWYER allowed max. I just wanted to see if anyone else has. My OAL is quite long to help with the VLDs i should have plenty of room left. Good to know in YOUR rifle you were able to get to 68. that gives me some room to play. Thanks again.

The VLD's love the burn rate of retumbo on a mag primer. 71gr gives me 3035fps and shoots .5moa

I have been reloading for the 7 mag since just about the time it was born. 1963 to be exact. I have burnt out no less than 15 barrels out on this cartridge. My point is I have used just about every powder there is and all the combinations.
Everyone nowadays will say Retumbo. Retumbo is great for high velocity but I have not found it good past 600 yds. You can not get the standard deviation down enough to stretch it past this.
H4831 is still one of the best powders there is. If you load it to your rifles capability and watch for signs of pressure you will find that it will surpass the magical 3000 fps mark. Using Winchester brass and mag primers, seat the bullet to the max magazine length. Do not adjust the COAL for the node but adjust the bedding. I bet you will end up in the grains of powder in the area or right next to what you call the cartridge. Work up SLOW. You will get it in the 65000 psi range with 3 maybe 4 loads out of the brass. H1000, Ramshot Magnum, and Norma 217 are very close in performance. RL 33 is now in my testing.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.