7mm Rem Mag and Berger Bullets long range loads

wolfmanjrw

Hi everyone. This my 1st inquiry. I'm working on loads for 7mm rem mag and Berger 168 and 180 bullets. I've read a lot of good info on powders and primers, but very few talk about what is the best brass to use for long range loads. H1000 seems to be one of the best choices of powder and probably where I will start. What primer and what brass? What is your best load?

168 VLD, Winchester brass, Fed 215 match primer, 73 gr Retumbo, 3037 fps.

7mag168BergerVLD730grRetumbo100yards.jpg

WOW, nice group! How many yards? I have always used Remington cases. Should shoot about the same, right? I saw a comparison of cases cut in half longways. Looked like the Remington cases were thicker. But I'm going to get all new cases for this load Friday and can start new with any thing. Thanks for your feedback

100 yards. The black square is 1 inch.

200 and 300 didn't look a whole lot different when I shot them in Colorado last week. I always get concerned about working up loads in Ohio that are intended to work with a 5555 feet elevation change, along with differences in baro, humidity, etc. Backed out to 750 yards and still 1/2 MOA. I found a keeper for sure in this 7mag and my new 280.

I have always used Remington cases. Should shoot about the same, right?
There is no question that hunters/shooters are using RP brass and it works well for them. I do not and if I can help it, will not. My opinion: RP brass is junk.

I have a 338-300 coming from Hart barrels. I bought about 250 pieces of Federal primed brass many years ago in 300 RUM that I intend to use. Right now, that is the only rifle on the way, that could require RP brass.

Thanks again, Derek. Your help is greatly appreciated. Question is your 7mm mag stock or has it been customized? The reason I'm asking is the gun I'm loading for is stock. I am loading these for my brother and ironically he will be using it for elk in Colorado, so your feedback is very helpful.

Thanks again, Derek. Your help is greatly appreciated. Question is your 7mm mag stock or has it been customized? The reason I'm asking is the gun I'm loading for is stock. I am loading these for my brother and ironically he will be using it for elk in Colorado, so your feedback is very helpful.
None of my rifles are stock. This particular 7mag is as follows:

26" Krieger barrel
Stiller Predator action
Jewel trigger 1 pound
McMillan stock
Bedding: probed 2000
NF NXS 5.5x22x56, zero stop, 1/4 click, MOAR reticle
Talley integral mounts

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.